Asked on Apr 6, 2013

How to Upholster this old Rocking Chair

Anna IbarraZest it UpDoreen Nestell
+8

I found this rocker for $10. I want to upholster it but from what I was told it was caned? Does anyone know any good tutorials of how to not cane but upholster this type of chair? I have only done simple upholstery type projects in the past. Also does anyone know anything about how old or anything about this chair?
q how to upholster this old rocking chair, painted furniture
  • Kimberly Barney

Great find!!! I love the curves of the chair. Since it was a caned chair, you will have to first cut pieces of wood for the seat and back of the chair so that you can then apply the foam and upholstery fabric. The seating area will need braces added that go across the seat for support as well. Again, great find!!

• KMS Woodworks

I recently built some lap desks where I upholstered the "backs" with some leather and upholstery tacks. I was inspired by this because we have an older antique chair that has a leather bottom. http://www.hometalk.com/1077217/walnut-and-leather-lap-desk I used a poly fill that I got at a fabric store store for the "stuffing". The seat on this chair would require a backer that is strong enough to take sitting on. If I were to do this I would inset a thin ply panel in there first.

• Gail Salminen

@ I have no experience in this area so I googled it and came up with this site that provides guidance and the rocking chair looks some what like yours http://zestitup.com/2012/08/25/reupholstered-old-cane-back-rocking-chair/ Do post an updated pic here so we can see your success :) Thanks for posting, I do love a search challenge!

• Sherrie

I have three really old cane chairs that need caning. Thanks Gail! I may try this before I take them to someone because they are so old I want to leave these original.

• Betty Brady

On any old chair that was caned or upholstered with webbing, you can make a plywood seat or back that matches the shape of the area you want to recover. Make sure you have at least four to six holes (they may match some of the caning holes in the seat) drilled in the plywood, and glue on lock washers (make sure to mark where they are). Then you get high quality foam and glue it to the wood with foam adhesive. You can have the foam trimmed at a local shop, or if you don't have one in your town, you can use an electric knife to trim the foam. Recover, and when done use bolts to fit your lock washers to attach the seat to the chair. Done this many times and works like a charm.

• Patricia W

Ive got a chair in my sewing room with a wicker seat. Now I know how to replace it! Thanks for the great tips!

• Sweet Papaya Creative

Thank you everyone for the great guidance and links! I have one last question - What the heck is webbing and where do you find it...lol.

• Sweet Papaya Creative

Wow thanks Sheila! I had no idea what it looked like or where to get it. This is going to be an adventure!

• Doreen Nestell

This is great info for me. I got an old Cuban rocking chair. Well that is what I believe it is, I live in a Cuban neighborhood. I can't wait to try these Ideas!!! More to see at my blog http://uggysburtnest.wordpress.com/

• Zest it Up

Hey there! I'm not sure if you have tackled this project, but I have done a couple of these over at zestitup.com Here is a link that may prove helpful http://zestitup.com/reupholstered-old-cane-back-rocking-chair/ I originally discovered ideas through younghouselove.com as well. Good luck!! It's an awesome find! :) Chanda

• Anna Ibarra

Thank you for this post, I just bought 3 small children chair that had been caned, and only one is still good, but other 2 need redone. I may just keep the the one caned still in tack, and sell the other two. I had to buy the 3 of them.