Asked on Jan 15, 2012

rotted wood

Jim JakesKMS WoodworksKeller Pest Control


we just removed some boxcar siding off the walls that were in the sunroom-diningroom.they had water damage from leaky windows,we have discovered black ants among rotted studs. what is the proper way to repair this?
4 answers
  • The Money Pit
    on Jan 15, 2012

    First off, you need to be sure the moisture issue doesn't reoccur. Next, spray down the framing with a bleach and water solution (about 20% bleach) either remove or "sister" to rotted studs. If the ants persist, have them sprayed by an exterminator. Termidor is a good product (BASF) that works well for most wood destroying any infestations.

  • Keller Pest Control
    on Jan 16, 2012

    You need to check the label Termidor should not be able to be applied as a wood treatment and only outside or under slabs. If the wood is wet or moldy you want to get Boracare or Timbor ithey are wood treatments which are an insecticide and a fungicide. this will help protect the wood from rot and infestation. you need to determine if they are carpenter ants or some other type of ant. you can do this by looking at three things , first size of the ant, carpenterants are much larger and have a bigger head. Second color they can be all black or black and red,Third look between thier abdomen and thorax ( basically the second and third section) of the ant on the skinny part or the pinched waist area for whats callled a single node.. This a raised area, carpenter ants have one other black ants have two. if it is carpenter ants you need to have a thorough inspection done to determine any other areas of infestation. They generally come in from trees and wood piles and prefer wet areas in wood. they do not eat the wood they destroy and can be as significant as termites. You also need to check for termites because termites and carpenter ants go hand in hand, the reason is termites are basically 90 % sugar water,Termites eat cellulose which make something similar to glucose. Ants love them and the same areas that are condusive to carpenter ants are good for termites You should have your home professionally treated with ac ombination of methods dust baits, liquid pesticides and borates. It may onle be odorous house or another type of ant which is where you would use Termidor outside only as a barrier.

  • KMS Woodworks
    on Jan 16, 2012

    When I encounter rotted studs I replace them....its more involved but then again I like to build bomb proof for the LONG haul.

  • Jim Jakes
    on Mar 16, 2013

    Seems like any water damaged area I get into becomes involved. Determine the source of the leak and stop it. If it has rot which it will that's how you noticed it, remove & replace it. Treat it and button it up.

Your comment...