Sheila R
Sheila R
  • Stone Mountain, GA
Asked on Apr 6, 2013

This is my backyard a clean slate! Sorry it took long to post!

Kasha PSheila RDouglas Hunt
+1

I want meandering paths with loads and loads flowers (zone 6). I have 7 rose bushes and two japanese maples that are 1 year old. Suggestions are welcomed! A privacy fence is
going to be installed behind roses bushes.Maples are opposite sides of the yard about
30ft apart.
this is my backyard a clean slate sorry it took long to post, landscape
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

How big is that space approximately?

I suggest you get out a pad and paper and start sketching, Sheila. Think about what you want from your yard: Do you want a patio area for eating outside, do you need a play area for kids or grandkids, a space where dogs can run. You may want to group your roses into a rose garden. When it comes to laying out paths, a garden hose warmed in the sun is great tool and will help you get curves that are pleasing to the eye. Four feet wide is a comfortable, generous width for paths. If you get overwhelmed, this may be a good time to hire a pro. They can help you come up with a plant that your can implement as your time and budget allow. Keep us posted with what you come up with. (Oh, one caveat about your Japanese maples. Most of them cannot take full sun in the South, particularly the laceleaf types. If that's what's what you have, you may want to move them when while they are young.)

• Sheila R

Thanks I do have a patio (covered and attached) the garden hose is a good idea my, space is about 40X30. No kids/animals. Thanks for the Japanese maple tip!

• Kasha P

Start from the back door and work your way out....instead of getting overwhelmed. But definitely pen and paper.