Mopping With Vinegar - Safe For Most Floor Types & Tips For Success

Mopping your floors with Vinegar is safe for most all floor types including wood floors. You should NOT use it on marble or stone though as it will cause it to "pit". Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and not to mention that you can save money on buying the expensive cleaners.
To get started make sure to sweep your floor thoroughly before mopping. Mopping a floor with crumbs still on it can cause the starches in the crumbs to turn to gluten and create spots that are very difficult to clean. Mix together 1/4 cup of white vinegar with a 1 quart of water in your bucket. Mop in small sections and when you need to rinse your mop try to rinse it in the sink before putting it back into your vinegar solution so you are not putting the dirt into the clean solution. Allow the floor to air dry and when it's dry, it should be streak free with no vinegar odor. Be sure that you wring your mop well - standing water can damage wood floors.
White vinegar doesn't smell pretty but it isn't toxic for you. You can add a few drops of essential oils and not only will it make your vinegar smell better it will also increase the disinfection power.
Another idea is to make one of these citrus vinegar solutions:
Orange Vinegar Cleaner
Lemon Vinegar Cleaner
Grapefruit Vinegar Cleaner
Mopping With Vinegar
Essential Oils

Stockpiling Moms

• Kathy

I have tile on my kitchen and dinning room area. How will vinegar effect the grout? Will the grout start to rot away?

• Ont241162

The floor people I use that puts real made wood floors that they finish after they are down told me to not use anything but 1 cap of vinegar in gallon of water on my wood floors.and on tile also..

• Deni Weston

I was told to use Windex? For my laminate! And nothing else.