Growing Lettuce In A Colander (Or How To Grow And Wash Your Veggies All In The Same Container)

When I first thought of planting my lettuce in a colander a few years ago, I thought I was being all creative and funky. A perfect mix of my love for thrift store finds with my love for gardening. It ends up that it's been done before. A lot. But even if everyone is doing it nowadays, it's still a cute way to grow a small amount of lettuce or herbs.
growing lettuce in a colander or how to grow and wash your veggies all in the same, container gardening, gardening, Lettuce bowl out of old colander
Lettuce bowl out of old colander.
growing lettuce in a colander or how to grow and wash your veggies all in the same, container gardening, gardening, The colander was found at a thrift store for less than a dollar
The colander was found at a thrift store for less than a dollar.
growing lettuce in a colander or how to grow and wash your veggies all in the same, container gardening, gardening, I put coffee filters in the bottom to keep the dirt from running out every time it was watered
I put coffee filters in the bottom to keep the dirt from running out every time it was watered.
growing lettuce in a colander or how to grow and wash your veggies all in the same, container gardening, gardening, Then I just added dirt and the lettuces I bought small lettuce plants but you could grow from seed
Then I just added dirt and the lettuces (I bought small lettuce plants, but you could grow from seed).
growing lettuce in a colander or how to grow and wash your veggies all in the same, container gardening, gardening, And this was all made for Ben The Guinea Pig You could use it for people lettuce but it turned out to be just the right height for Ben to snack on Sadly Ben died a few months after this photo was taken RIP Ben
And this was all made for Ben The Guinea Pig. You could use it for people lettuce, but it turned out to be just the right height for Ben to snack on. Sadly, Ben died a few months after this photo was taken. RIP, Ben.

House Of Hawthornes