Carla I
Carla I
  • Hart, MI
Asked on Apr 7, 2013

Darn Silver Maple...

Carla IJaymeGail Salminen
+2

just as I get everything looking nice in all of my gardens, I have a snowstorm of seeds,,,,I am not the one that planted that darned tree.... however, I have about 15 good sized gardens that then need more picking....any suggestions? other than a two acre tent for covering the yard? People tell me to cut the tree, however it is huge shade for the south west side that is total hot sun, thus the reason someone put it there, I am sure, I need Advil....
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

lol ...I feel your pain, I have a sweet gum tree in my side yard blocking summer sun from baking us. The little balls drive me bonkers.

Plus, maple seedlings can be dang tenacious. I've found that pliers work well, because you can grab at the base and give a strong tug.

• Gail Salminen

@Carla I we have several key maples near us as well :P but it isn't that much of a problem for me, usually mulch over them and only a few sprout and usually where I don't mulch because thick with bushes. If the gardes are open, you might be able to spread some garden fabric down then once the keys are mostly shed, pick it up and put in the compost bags for getting thems away. @Douglas Hunt I will have to add pliers to my garden tools for when I don't catch a sprouting key for a couple of years - thanks for the tip.

• Jayme

I have my shade garden placed right underneath my maple tree. I have had a few of the seeds sprout and if you can catch them within the first year they are not too bad to pull up. I just figure that it is something that I will just deal with.....I have a bigger problem with them when they covermy deck and clog my rain gutters.

• Carla I

Thank you all for the support and ideas, I do realize this is forever going to be an issue, I cannot live without my shade and wind protection, sure wish she wasn't so fertile!! ha!