Pat Valdez
Pat Valdez
  • San Antonio, TX
Asked on Apr 7, 2013

How can I get my barrel cactus to bloom?

Pat ValdezDouglas HuntOuina
+6

I've had a potted barrel cactus that just doesn't ever bloom. Any suggestions. I've tried aspirin to wake it up. No go. I've tried rain water. nothing. ??? help

I hate to say this Pat, but I think it can 15 or 20 years for a barrel cactus to bloom. I think you're just going to have to accept that it will bloom when it's good and ready.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

@Douglas Hunt , do you know if they like to be tightly constricted on the root zone to encourage bloom?

I don't know about that @360 Sod (Donna Dixson) . I think they just have to get to a certain size/maturity.

• KMS Woodworks

This also depends on the specie...I have had some that only took 4-5 years...and I had one that after 20+ years never did...a few years back we downsized most of our house plants and now no longer have them...we are down to just a half a dozen or so "favorites" This time frame is still better than some specie of Bamboo...which can range from 60 to `120 years between flowerings.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

@KMS Woodworks not even once in a blue moon eh?

• Ouina

Try mimicking nature - no water for months and then hit it with a good soaking. Sometimes that is the only way to get a cactus to bloom. Be sure it is in it's native soil so that it does not become water-logged. And hope for a blue moon :-)

• Pat Valdez

no blooms at all in the years I have had it. I was thinking today of changing it into a different pot and add some perlite and fertilizer.

Perlite's probably a good idea as it will improve drainage, but I'd go easy on the fertilizer as cacti don't get much in their natural environment. And remember that it will take your plant awhile to recover from the transplanting.

• Pat Valdez

Thanks Douglas. I will do that. Funny how I never thought of this before. I'll keep you guys posted if anything happens. I have seen some increased width growth. I added diluted coffee to it and I know it woke it up some.