Frankie L
Frankie L
  • Mcdonough, GA
Asked on Apr 7, 2013

Backyard Slope

Garden SuppliesKMS WoodworksDouglas Hunt
+2

My backyard slopes - in rainy weather we get a lot of run off. Have planted several shrubs with some success. Don't have a lot of money to spend on this so I am open to suggestions of how to treat this space. Flower beds - garden area? Ground gets mostly full sun and as you would guess its hard as a rock!
  • KMS Woodworks

Does this slope towards the house or away from the house? Slopes away from the house are much easier to deal with and they pose far less trouble in terms of potential water damage to foundations etc. with terracing you can level thing offs to reduce run-off. Part of the benefit to terraces is fill is often brought it, here you can import some better soil that will improve drainage and provide for a better planting media. Last summer I expanded the parking area of our driveway up near the house. here I used 6" pressure treated landscape timbers and crushed stone fill. Since this is a "parking spot" I was not worried about growing things.

• Frankie L

Slopes away from the house . I understand the terrace thoughts and that's what we have used the shrubs for but what can I terrace with? I don't have access to rock which would be my first choice. What type plants could be used? This area gets mostly full sun.

Rhus aromatica "Gro Low" is a great plant for slopes with poor soil. I also like Russian cypress, Microbiota decussata.

• KMS Woodworks

Landscape timbers and retaining wall "blocks" are the most common check out the pavestone web site for some ideas. http://www.pavestone.com/content/product-types/retaining-wall-systems/ getting the walls in place is the first priority..then you can worry about the plantings.

• Garden Supplies

You can use the retaining wall blocks in it. It isthe cost effective idea to treat with your backyard area slopes. Visit http://www.toemar.ca/hardscape/garden-retaining-walls/ for more information.