Asked on Jan 16, 2012

The FIFTH wall:

Car7449182Carole WhiteStephanie corley
+26

What is the fifth wall? It is your ceiling. So often we take care of floors, furnishing and windows but leave a project incomplete. Your ceiling is an integral part of the "emotional envelope" that we are trying to create. . . it is the FEELING we want to evoke the minute you enter a space.
You have already seen 2 key elements of the redesign of this dining room: the walls ( http://www.hometalk.com/activity/114791) and the columns ( http://www.hometalk.com/activity/93928). Now here is a close look at the third element. . . the ceiling!
This home had beautiful carvings on the ceiling and an elaborate medallion. We needed to show them off. They were painted with many tones of bronze and gold that were inspired by tones in the light fixtures and window treatments. To tie it all together, these same colors were used on the capitals and bases of the columns.
Very few of us have ceilings with such elaborate details. But the addition of a color other than white and a simple ceiling medallion is a cost effective way to draw your eye up and complete a space.
BEFORE. . . details are barely seen.
AFTER. . . the harsh contrast of white is gone and the raised details come alive. The remaining trim acts as an outline to punctuate the space.
Blended with the columns and fabrics.
The raised carvings come to life and tie in with the top of the columns.
BEFORE. . . can you even see it?
Now it becomes a grand feature and focal point of the space. Doesn't the elegant fixture look even BIGGER and more important.
  • That's a great point you have there Wallstreat. You did a great job!

• Faidra at CA Global Inc

I most certainly agree, it is definitely the 5th wall! I always do something different whether making it a lighter color, or adding a design.

• Yes, in most homes this is an overlooked element in the design! You bring up a very good point!

• Miriam I

This is exquisite. No other words.

• SawHorse.net

With that beautiful ceiling treatment, you just made the other walls jealous!

• MJN & Associates Interiors

The trim in here was beautiful and you made it gorgeous! I absolutely love this ceiling!

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

How pretty. I like seeing color on ceiling. I'm over hearing it makes our giant rooms look too small. It's cozy (-; Way to go Kass. Every house a painted ceiling. After seeing these pics, I think I'll start a ceiling painting company, if my neck can bear it any longer. CP

• Thank you everyone. MJN, I have you to thank for this. You pulled this design together and gave me great direction. I know our client loves it.

• Peace, I feel your pain! If I am up on a ladder or scaffold, I can easily work 10-12 hours. But, on a ceiling, 6 is about the max I can stand. . . then I get cranky!!!!!

• ...and we don't want a Kranky Kass !!! ;-) Love this !!

• Marg C

what a nightmare of a job. I wonder how long it took you?

• Each project, the walls, columns and ceiling had different layers that had to dry in between. So, I would go from one to the next and then the next. By that time the first one was dry and I could start with the next layers. That is why "bundling" projects is much more cost effective than trying to do each element individually. All total, I blocked out a week to complete the decorative painting on everything.

• Bill B

I'm a retired carpenter and that's very nice work

• Jennifer T

Amazing work!

• SHARON W

That is absolutely beautiful. Everything is in scale, not overdone, completely in harmony with what I can see of the rest of the photo. It's too elegant for my life style but I surely see the beauty in it! Good job!!!!!

• Melissa L

This looks beautiful. I love the ceiling.

• JP S

That is beautiful !!!!

• Clarence N

Here are pictures of the wall mural and Fiber Optic Lite Star Ceiling in the Serenity Room!!! Clarence "Tulips"

q the fifth wall, dining room ideas, home decor, lighting, paint colors, painting, This is One of the wall murals in the Serenity Room enhanced with Fiber Optic Lighting River and Reflecting Pondq the fifth wall, dining room ideas, home decor, lighting, paint colors, painting, This is the Fiber Optic Lite Ceiling planets change 8 different colors and stars twinkleq the fifth wall, dining room ideas, home decor, lighting, paint colors, painting
  • Hey Kass, Love this room-- You guys did a great job! Love the columns!!!

• OMG, Paisley!!!! Welcome to Hometalk. Give me a call. . . we need to catch up.

• Jane C

Nice the most neglected "wall" of the house given the royal treatment .KUDOS!!!!!

• Najwa S

Bronze Details Are Great. To bad the Wall Color killed the whole mood of the room

• DEBBY F

This person has a right to he opion, but I think it's the best. i would love to know how you did it. Please let my know of you'r plans at debbyfain2010@hotmail.com. i am going to do one also. THANKS

• Andrea S

I like both. ;0)

• Swinnen Lisette

Me too, I like both. But the bronze gives a whole other dimension on the place, royal. With the walls redone, you could be very easily impressed while walking in there. More like a museum than a living place. Don't get me wrong, everybody has their own taste. This room is not for me. I would start whispering...

• Stephanie corley

Well, the color is perfect for a formal home in the south. It would not work in a Ca home or a french home. Geography does play a role in decorating. The title of this project was the 5th wall. Not the 1-4 walls. The entire room is lovely. I love the faux finishes I see!

• Carole White

Finally, somebody who believes in "decorating" the ceiling as I do! I really dislike plain white ceilings. This is an elaborate beauty; thanks for sharing this work of art!

• Car7449182

I like the original one....