Brad S
Brad S
  • Gay, GA
Asked on Jan 16, 2012

I need drought tolerant plants.

Carol PottsBettyRobeal
+4

The plants need to withstand a blazing hot sun with little watering involved. Any suggestions?
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Most plants will need to be watered until established no matter how drought tolerant they are. Small roots are not capable of reaching out and grabbing up water like a well established plant. Xeriscape plants that you can include in your list- Yucca, sedums, Ice plant,sempervirens(Hens& Chicks) ornamental grasses. Amend the planting bed with some good soil, and mulch heavy to retain the moisture.

• Walter Reeves

Your local Extension office 1-800-ASKUGA-1 has a good list of dry area plants

I want to second Four Season's comment about the importance of watering to get even the most drought-tolerant, or xeric, plants started. You should count on six to eight weeks of watering before you "turn off the tap," and when you do so, gradually wean your plants to a reduced amount of water. You can also help by getting them started as early in the season as possible, so they have a chance to get established before the heat of summer becomes relentless. Also, smaller plants will get established more quickly than larger ones and need less water sooner. In terms of plants, I would strongly suggest you check out Georgia natives, which have lived in Georgia droughts for eons with no one around to turn on the hose. Native plants can take the heat, and they're adapted to drought. The Georgia Native Plant Society is a good place to start: http://www.gnps.org/

• Erica Glasener

I agree with Four Seasons and Douglas but have a few recommendations of plants for Georgia that are survivors one is Yucca filamentosa which is evergreen and architectural and the other is Sedum 'Autumn Joy' (not native) along with evening primrose. All three of these are tough. Happy gardening.

• Robeal

Bougainvillias! They are beautiful, hardy and tolerate extreme heat (I am from Baja and they are everywhere), and survive in little water. Furthermore, they deadhead themselves!

• Betty

Agave

• Carol Potts

Succulents