Update a Basement Staircase With Paint!

Our depressing basement stairwell got a facelift with board and batten on the concrete walls and a new coat of paint on the steps. I ripped up the old carpeting, pulled out all the staples and painted the treads with Sherwin Williams enamel paint with SharkGrip added to make it non-skid. The risers were painted different shades of blue/green/purple with all the leftover paint samples from our basement
more pictures of basement remodel we ripped up the old carpet and painted the, home decor, stairs
BEFORE- our basement steps were dreary and dark concrete and carpet. Ugly.
A sneak peek into the AFTER!
Colorful staircase- we had lots of paint samples to use. :)
Close up of painted basement staircase
"During" photo of staircase with carpet removed and concrete block wall covered with sheetrock and board and batten.
Love the way this project brightened our basement!
Sharkgrip- buy it at Lowes or Sherwin Williams, add it to paint to make wood stairs nonskid. Highly recommend it!
"Before" of staircase looking down-- you're not gonna believe how amazing this view is now in the full reveal. Check it out on my blog! Click the link below to see the full makeover!
"After" of staircase looking down (with board and batten)
Painted staircase with board and batten
Beth at Unskinny Boppy

• Alice Holt-Clash

what color besides white, can you paint a hall and bathroom that have no natural light source?

• CC

Look at shades of yellow. We went with a pale shade which reflects the lights. Can also go with almond shades. We preferred the yellow, seemed fresher to us. Good luck.

, Interior wall that is always cast in shadow Took the color down the hall and into bathroom Lovely warm glow when overhead light is on It s a pale soft shade not a lemon bright shade Try different paint swatched
  • Sue Prytherch

How did you get the wood trim to fit around the stair edges? I have stairs like this with drywall up the wall. There is no "stringer" up the side. Did you made a template? Or was there a gap between the stairs and the wall? Thanks! Fantastic job!
    • Beth at Unskinny Boppy

There was a gap between the stairs and the wall and they put in a 1x12 to trim it out.
    • Sue Prytherch

Thanks Beth! I wish my stairs had a gap there. Oh well, I'll have to figure out something else to trim out the sides. Yours look awesome! great job!