Tracy Frerichs
Tracy Frerichs
  • Minden, NE
Asked on Apr 8, 2013

Re-upholster or Re-cover

Jacqueline Eppig SungMichelle Wigman NasonThe Whimsical Peacock
+14

HELP! I have a 10 year old sofa, loveseat, chair and ottoman in matching fabric. My problem is the fabric is fraying on every piece! I've looked for slip covers, but can't find any plum colors (to match my lace curtains). I don't believe in just throwing them out, would reupholstering them be cost prohibitive? ANY IDEAS?
Arm on the Loveseat
Arm on the Loveseat
Cushion on the Sofa
Cushion on the Sofa
  • Hi Tracy - I would consider having custom slipcovers made or reupholstering. These options may be expensive but if you love the furniture (style/size) and it is built well then it is worth putting the money into it and you can chose a fabric you love (not limited to online/store options). Consider a more sturdy fabric that will hold up over time better. A local upholsterer can advise you best. Jeanne McDermott

• Neatsmart

I would definitely reupholster if you love the pieces and they are of good quality. Yes, it is pricey but it is an investment that will pay off in the long run.

• Tracy Frerichs

Thank you both for your advice, I'll look into reupholstering. It really helps to "talk" it through with someone!

• Shannon

Also, not sure how handy you are with a sewing machine, but i just made slipcovers for my furniture. it really wasn't very hard and i LOVE how they turned out! i was in a slightly different situation, as i was just sick of my fabric, so i couldn't justify the expense of reupholstering... thought i'd throw it out there. Good luck!

• Z

Tracy the cost of such things are often in who you can find to do the work and what their overhead is. Being in Minden, if I remember correctly it's a small town, you've less options. One of the ladies here has had great luck using an Automobile reupholsterer both in price and quality of work. Certainly something to think about when searching for an upholsterer.

• Evelyn McMullen

I made a headboard out of a junkstore Victorian sofa, cut out the seat part. I got an estimate for reupholstering with me supplying the fabric. I thought it exhorbitant. May try the job myself IF I can get it out from between the mattress & wall.

• Tracy Frerichs

You are all inspiring me! Shannon, I'm going to have to get my sewing machine out and see if it still works, if not get if fixed!

• Evelyn McMullen

I made a slipcover for overstuffed chair & ottoman for my granddaughter. I knew nothing about how to do it, make the pattern with newspaper and it came together beautifully.

• The Whimsical Peacock

ok, this one will work if you are on the eclectic side...very unique but incredible if you get the right fabrics...I saw it on FAB.COM, mixed fabrics, some didnt even match, but they actually covered sofas, loveseats and dining chairs this way...and did a quilt style attachment of the fabrics....major WOW factor...I'll look and see if I can find you a pic!

• The Whimsical Peacock

OK, i only found one pic for you, but I think you'll get the idea! have fun

re upholster or re cover, painted furniture, reupholster, JIPSI Boho i believe is the company i found them on Fab com
  • Tracy Frerichs

Whimsical, this sounds very interesting! Yes, please post a pic if you can find one.

• The Whimsical Peacock

found another example... https://www.jossandmain.com/Collection-Kolore~E4245.html it's called the peacock armchair :)

• Tracy Frerichs

Whimsical, that does give me ideas! At one time I was looking for matching material to cover the cushions only, now I see I could try a contrasting material. In the meantime I found slipcovers, but they are more red than plum so I'm going to return them :(

• The Whimsical Peacock

UGG! hate having to do returns! lately I have been taking pics with my iPhone when I need a match on something, it's not perfect, but maybe a way so you can get a little closer to what you need when your shopping. I really can't wait to try this (the mixed sewn chair idea) myself! I think it would work great! You would just have to think in reverse, plain walls and pillows, and funky pattern on the chair/couch! :) good luck with your project!

• Michelle Wigman Nason

what about finding slipcovers in something neutral like a cream or beige or champagne color. that would go with the plum lace curtains

• Carol

@Michelle Wigman Nason I was thinking the same, and she might be able to find some fabric with her plum colors and make throw pillows.

• Jacqueline Eppig Sung

I had the same problem with an ottoman and a piece of a sectional sofa' all matching. I made a slipcover for the ottoman out of a painters drop cloth. I washed and dried it first before constructing each piece, and I made a piping for it also. I managed to do this in a day! Try it, it's like a puzzle.....it was fun!