My bottle 'sun' or 'star'

My bottle 'sun' or 'star', depending on what time of day it is...zone 4 garden, no breakage problems, buried in sand. Recycled wine, beer, and liquor bottles:)
Bottle 'sun' in my gazebo in the center of my veggie garden. Zone 4, no breakage...has been buried for a couple of years. Old grind stone in the center.
First I chose the spot in the center of the new garden. I laid out the 'point', then dug the bottle in upside down...whole. I had an old grindstone that I used for the center. I used a post hole digger, shovel, and rubber mallet.
The bottles all buried...you can easily make adjustments in the sandy soil. I used a 2" by 4" and a level to get the bottles aligned to the same height.
I filled with sand to bring the ground level up to where I wanted it...just and inch or so from the top of the bottles.
I spread pea gravel on top to finish the sun off.
This summer I added a 'door mat'!
Here is the final view. The bottle sun is under the pergola (which has been taken over by hops!).

The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
15 Memorial Day Crafts

• Pat Acosta
    Pat Acosta

How can I camouflage a double pane window that has white residue , unable to replace at this time.

• Pat Beakley
    Pat Beakley

Do you fill your bottles with sand before burying to equalize pressure to keep from breaking? Really like the idea.

• Ursula Owens
      Ursula Owens

No...in our climate the moisture in the sand in the bottle would freeze in winter, expand, and break the bottle.

• Chris Sandbeck
    Chris Sandbeck

I live in mud country, not how this would work or if it would work as mud has no give and take. Could add sand to soil.

• Teresa
      Teresa

Yes sand is the answer for your soul type... You can buy it by the truck load or by the bags at the local handyman store..

• Joanie
    Joanie

You've got quite a little, peaceful area behind the gates. Love the privacy. Enjoy!

• Aisha Jackson
    Aisha Jackson

I was wondering what I could do with all of the green s.pellegrino mineral water bottles that I had. This Pin gave me a great idea for my Zen garden. I used a stepping stone for the center, s.pellegrino bottles and small blue bottles. It was easier to dig the bottles into the ground then I thought since we recently had several days of rain. I was very happy how this turned out!