My bottle 'sun' or 'star'

578K Views
My bottle 'sun' or 'star', depending on what time of day it is...zone 4 garden, no breakage problems, buried in sand. Recycled wine, beer, and liquor bottles:)
Time: 2 HoursDifficulty: Easy
  • how to bury bottles to create yard art, gardening, outdoor living
Bottle 'sun' in my gazebo in the center of my veggie garden. Zone 4, no breakage...has been buried for a couple of years. Old grind stone in the center.
First I chose the spot in the center of the new garden. I laid out the 'point', then dug the bottle in upside down...whole. I had an old grindstone that I used for the center. I used a post hole digger, shovel, and rubber mallet.
The bottles all buried...you can easily make adjustments in the sandy soil. I used a 2" by 4" and a level to get the bottles aligned to the same height.
I filled with sand to bring the ground level up to where I wanted it...just and inch or so from the top of the bottles.
I spread pea gravel on top to finish the sun off.
This summer I added a 'door mat'!
Here is the final view. The bottle sun is under the pergola (which has been taken over by hops!).

Suggested materials for this project:

• Miriam I
      Miriam I Houston, TX

WOW! That is really cool! How did you make it?

• Ursula Owens
        Ursula Owens Lewiston, MI

Thanks! The site is really sandy so I didn't have to add sand. I had been collecting the bottles for a long time. All you need is a shovel and a rubber hammer. All the bottle are full size, just buried head down. I placed the bottle upright first to see the layout, then just started digging. I topped the finished sun off with pea gravel.