Ursula Owens
Ursula Owens
  • Lewiston, MI

My bottle 'sun' or 'star'

My bottle 'sun' or 'star', depending on what time of day it is...zone 4 garden, no breakage problems, buried in sand. Recycled wine, beer, and liquor bottles:)
how to bury bottles to create yard art, gardening, outdoor living
Bottle 'sun' in my gazebo in the center of my veggie garden. Zone 4, no breakage...has been buried for a couple of years. Old grind stone in the center.
First I chose the spot in the center of the new garden. I laid out the 'point', then dug the bottle in upside down...whole. I had an old grindstone that I used for the center. I used a post hole digger, shovel, and rubber mallet.
The bottles all buried...you can easily make adjustments in the sandy soil. I used a 2" by 4" and a level to get the bottles aligned to the same height.
I filled with sand to bring the ground level up to where I wanted it...just and inch or so from the top of the bottles.
I spread pea gravel on top to finish the sun off.
This summer I added a 'door mat'!
Here is the final view. The bottle sun is under the pergola (which has been taken over by hops!).

• Pat Acosta

How can I camouflage a double pane window that has white residue , unable to replace at this time.

• Pat Beakley

Do you fill your bottles with sand before burying to equalize pressure to keep from breaking? Really like the idea.

• Ursula Owens

No...in our climate the moisture in the sand in the bottle would freeze in winter, expand, and break the bottle.

• Chris Sandbeck

I live in mud country, not how this would work or if it would work as mud has no give and take. Could add sand to soil.

• Teresa

Yes sand is the answer for your soul type... You can buy it by the truck load or by the bags at the local handyman store..

• Connie

Very clever...inspired me to drink more wine as I garden😁. Will have enough to complete this project by June.

• Nancy scott

I’m pretty picky about crafty trends! This! IS! AWESOME ❤️ I love my yard and flower gardens -so this would be something I might try with my little grandkids helping☺️