My bottle 'sun' or 'star'

My bottle 'sun' or 'star', depending on what time of day it is...zone 4 garden, no breakage problems, buried in sand. Recycled wine, beer, and liquor bottles:)
how to bury bottles to create yard art, gardening, outdoor living
Bottle 'sun' in my gazebo in the center of my veggie garden. Zone 4, no breakage...has been buried for a couple of years. Old grind stone in the center.
First I chose the spot in the center of the new garden. I laid out the 'point', then dug the bottle in upside down...whole. I had an old grindstone that I used for the center. I used a post hole digger, shovel, and rubber mallet.
The bottles all buried...you can easily make adjustments in the sandy soil. I used a 2" by 4" and a level to get the bottles aligned to the same height.
I filled with sand to bring the ground level up to where I wanted it...just and inch or so from the top of the bottles.
I spread pea gravel on top to finish the sun off.
This summer I added a 'door mat'!
Here is the final view. The bottle sun is under the pergola (which has been taken over by hops!).

• Mary Coakley

What a lovely idea can you walk on them.?

• Jdr26416073

Did you fill the bottles with dirt/sand before filling?

we have "gumbo" soil here and eventually the empty bottles would be forced up from the ground (or sink out of sight)

• Jdr26416073

• Ursula Owens

I did not fill these first. Sometimes after winter they pop up a bit...I just push them back down.

• Erica Smith

Wow I love this!!! There is a lady that lives a few miles from Me that has built a bottle house....I'm going to show her this! Lol tfs you did a great job!

Blessings

Erica

• Sandy

Love it!