Craftingbydominique
Craftingbydominique
  • United Kingdom

Mica powders and napkin decoupage

An old, tattered bowl was given a new, vibrant decor using mica powders and some paper napkin decoupage. Oh, there are some structure paste reliefs as well :)
Using a wide, soft, flat brush and applying mica powders onto semi dry coat of gesso I was able to adhere the powders easily.
Whenever the surface gets too dry for the powders to stick to it, I use baby wipes to give it some extra moisture.
flexible stencil, modelling paste and gold acrylic paint plus a sprinkle of blue mica powder, that's how the reliefs came to life.
Glossy varnish by a great Italian company, Maimeri, was used for this shiny, glass like and very durable finish.
mica powders and napkin decoupage, crafts, decoupage
the bottom was decorated entirely with mica powders and then sealed with 5 coats of polyurethane spray varnish
Craftingbydominique

• Renae

Mica powders. Where do you find them? I'm a JoAnn's junkie, but haven't seen them before....help?

• Renae

What is structure paste relief? I know bas relief and high relief, but haven't heard of this. Can you explain please? Thanks

• Craftingbydominique

Thanks for stopping by and every so sorry for not replying... somehow I missed that activity :), perhaps it's because I've got a two month old on my hands all the time now :) Anyways, I love your plates, and actually planning to do similar stuff but using embossing folders for the pattern bit. And yes, mica can be used on everything, just before glazing I would seal it with a mist of a spray acrylic varnish/sealer - Americana brand is great for this.

• Laura Salzer

I love this but where can I get the dish you used to make this?