Asked on Jan 17, 2012

Does this look ODD to you?

JackieMK McDonaldSherrie
+17

This was the first time I came across this kind of floor. It was in a Veterinarians office. Whoever put in this "solid, seamless, flooring" used vinyl sheet linolium, cutting it up like a mosaic and gluing it all together. In the end, its still high maintenance, ugly linolium. Soon to be but a memory...
Like a moasic.... in vinyl....
Like a moasic.... in vinyl....
  • Wahoo Decks

It took me a few seconds of staring at it, but I finally see that is a door stop. That's a big door stop. Looks like a fun job, let us know how the demo goes.

• We expect to find a sea of glue. Not a pretty site... In order to simplify the cove base, we will have speed cove installed, apply epoxy upon it and allow the sag to seal it to the floor, only then will we apply the floor coatings, completely sealing the floor properly.

• What are you replacing it with?

• FloorNerd

That's interesting? Lol

• LandlightS

Gary....if you are using the new product to finish the product, let me know when. I would love too see the process Thanks, Gary

• 3po3

Not sure this is really any worse than most sheet linoleum in commercial and industrial use. Also, I hope you're not going with anything too fancy. I imagine a steady stream of sick animals is tough on flooring.

• Although the pattern is a bit odd, its not uncommon to find commercial grade linoleum on floors of vets offices. Its pretty much pee proof and offers some slippage so people can control their doggies. Good luck with this, my bet its glued down.

• Im not surprised to find commercial linolium in a vets space. What is odd is how it was cut and shaped to form cove bases, We are pulling it all off, installing speed cove and then a multiphase industrial epoxy will be installed in its place. It will look and BE a much cleaner application.

• @Amazing Improvements and Garages ....I have worked at a Veterinarian Practice, and you are correct....most of them use this flooring. I did not like this flooring , and I agree.....about the products you are planning on using. looking forward to the " after ' photos !

• KMS Woodworks

I've seen this flooring "wrap" up and serve as cove molding in lots of applications ( commercial labs ) the fact that they used some scrappy bit may indicate they were running low on materials

• KMS, first time I've run across this here in the east. Must have been installed by "Vinyl Pros". If there is such an animal.... Over time the joints come loose and let liquids pass.

• KMS Woodworks

Yes...sealing these is the bugger...We had a few labs in the plant I worked in like this...these were the lower cost version of the full terrazzo used in most of the production areas

• Terry S

it is an old inlaid vinyl . very durable believe it or not. it is glued and could have asbestos in it. i dont know what the laws are for removal there but they are getting pretty stern on that stuff as far as the removal and who does it.is it on concrete or wood subfloor?

• The floor is only a couple of years old. Thats what added to the oddity of this flooring. We expect to find glue under here, but at the time of install, asbestos was no longer added to the glues. Its a on a concrete slab...

• Kali M

Can't wait to see the "after"!

• Lukejakeleahsnama

Wow! Truly horrendous!

• Wanda sinnema

grocery stores often use this type of installation in some areas such as break rooms bathrooms , etc.... this is a very poor installation usually there are no seams showing.... It makes for a quick cleanup and no possible water along the edges..

• Sherrie

There is a machine to remove stuff like this it peels it right up.

• MK McDonald

Looks like a hospital floor where I worked

• Jackie

Wow. Gotta say, that is one of the ugliest floors I've ever seen lol!