General Finishes Milk Paint Kitchen Makeover! Antique White #PaintJob

Simple 5 day makeover for minimal investment and lots of upgrade!
Here's the side by side of the before and after. The was accomplished with a gallon of General Finishes milk paint in Antique White.
Her home is a haven of tan, aqua, off-white and pops of red. The "orange" just wasn't working in this open space.
Remove all of the doors and hardware. I pull the drawers out and stack them in place on the counter above. This is so much easier than removing all the drawer fronts! When it's time to paint them, I rest them so the front is hanging off the front of the countertop and roll the milk paint on. (I use 2" foam rollers labeled for cabinet painting)
I lay all the doors flat in the garage. It's also a good idea to wipe them down with a vinegar/water even mixture to make sure the surface is clean and will take the paint evenly.
OCD hell... Luckily for this homeowner, she was enjoying the Florida beaches while this was happening.
This part is actually the quickest with very little surface area to cover, by the time you finish painting the first coat- you can typically start all over right away with the second coat (especially with a kitchen this big!)
While the cabinetry body dries, I turn my attention to the doors. This requires some patience with details. If you're tapped out from painting, take a break and caffiene up before trudging on. You don't want to rush this part because it's the part you'll look at the most! I use thin synthetic brushes for the recessed areas and typically apply 4 coats (light colors require more coats to get good coverage)
When everything is dry, I use Polyacrylic as a topcoat to add a little sheen to the finish. Apply a very thin coat on light colors- thick application or gloppy corners will yellow.
Reinstall the doors and hardware- voila!
Then she decided to bring the gorgeous aqua color to the main wall to tie the entire space together!

To see more: https://m.facebook.com/TKingsCreations/?ref=bookmarks

• Barbara Dykeman Thomas

My kitchen has oak cabinets. I want to paint them white, but the rest of the woodwork in the house is the same oak color. I have an open concept house so I am not sure the white cabinets will go with the other wood. Thoughts?

• Gail Mizell Snowden Colby

I just bought a new (to me) home and I have old fashion Formica cabinets. Do I need to do anything other than clean them with vinegar and water?

I love this. You make it look very simple. I hope it will be for me also.

Gail Colby

• Cindy

Do you mean you want to paint the counters? She only used the paint on the cabinets. There is a counter paint you can use over laminate counters. But it was in a home my brother had and it didn’t wear very well.

• Glenda Lytle

Do you paint the inside of the doors, as well?

• Val hetherington

I am inspired have the same cabinets. Boring! So much work. You made it seem simple and easy. Love your new kitchen look. Bright fresh and airy. Love white. Makes everything look largerbeautif7l.

question: was it hard to take hinges off, then reinstall after painting g. Also, great idea to label!

• Amber

OCD hell! HA! Girl, you nailed that one! Great job!!!