Store Leftover Paint Using Food Containers

Usually, when I buy paint to use in a room or on a piece of furniture, I'll leave it in the can. I always use a spout, and it does work well for a while, but it inevitably gets messy with dried paint around the rim causing both the can and lid to rust. Not good when you have half a gallon of good paint left.
store leftover paint using food containers, organizing, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
So, to keep paint longer I started using glass and plastic food containers bound for the recycle bin. My container of choice lately has been orange juice containers because they are tall and slim, so you can store more in a small space, and see-through, so you can see what you have and how much is left.
Quick, easy and, best of all, free. Plus you're giving your paint a longer life.
Click the link below to find out about this and other storage ideas.

Kristi @ Chatfield Court

• Iberkeley

Is the translucency of the containers an issue? I would assume not since they are stored inside. I only wonder because traditionally paint comes in (what I assume) tin cans. Glass to me is a no-no, I'm a klotz and tend to drop things and you know what happens to spattered paint!

• Mary

Many orange juice containers are now plastic. I also saved leftover paint in a clear plastic Helmann's mayonnaise jar.

• Andrew Kaci Hili

And for how much longer will the paint remain good if using this method rather than keeping it in its original can?

• Diane Brenner

Would this work equally well for wood stains?

• Annie Doherty

I do the same decant into glass bottles or jars and label with the paint mix info, also write it on the lid so if I need to buy more the recipe is there still. Great post I also found that less paint is wasted if they are in jars as it doesn't go crusty. Thank you.

• Teresa Fialkowski

I use glass vs plastic containers since paint & stains seem to react with the plastic & paint deteriorates quicker.