DIY Succulent Candle Centerpiece

An easy-to-make centerpiece that will satisfy your urge to grow something during these cold, cold months!
I don't know if you're like me, but I have to have something growing inside my home during winter! This succulent centerpiece will brighten the interior of your home now and will easily transition to the outdoors when it gets warmer.
To get started, you will need a 12 inch terracotta saucer. You can leave it this natural color or you could paint it any color to go with your decor. I painted mine aqua!
Next, you will need a variety of small succulents. At this time of year, they are usually on sale at your garden center or big box store such as Lowe's. If any of your friends grow succulents, ask for some of their "babies!"
And, of course, you need some soil. I have found that succulents grow very well in this specially designed soil. You won't need very much so a small bag will do.
Grab one of these plastic trays that's made to go under the terracotta saucer when you're picking up your saucer. It will protect the surface of the table or furniture where you place your centerpiece.
And you will need a candle and a glass candle holder to put in the center of your creation. For more details on how I put it all together, click over to see the whole blog post where you'll also find how it looked after 6 months!
Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads

• Diane Hernandez

Great idea do they need a lot of Sun?

• MiTmite9

You should always ALWAYS pay attention to which planting zone is yours. I have bought wonderful succulents, only to learn that they don't thrive in my zone. I am zone 10 and forget about trying to grow anything zone 9 or lower----and that includes certain species of succulents. Buyer beware. Just because you see plants in the nursery or Home Depot or Orchard Supply Hardware, etc, doesn't mean those plants will do well in your particular zone. The majority of such plants were grown in greenhouses.

• How much water, do you use small pebbles for drainage?

• @Debbie Westgate- Guyot-Sliwa I didn't put any small pebbles in the saucer for drainage, and I just watered very gently with a measuring cup until the soil was slightly damp. I later added pebbles on top of the soil, mainly to hide the soil. The succulents grew w/o the drainage pebbles but I also controlled how much water I gave them.

• Donna

Does it have to be Terra cotta?