Sarah Nave
Sarah Nave
  • San Jose, CA
Asked on Apr 9, 2013

Lettuce

Sarah NaveKMS WoodworksDouglas Hunt
+1

Can lettuce be trimmed to regrow? Aphids ruined my butter and romaine leaves, which were off to a great start. I am wondering, can I trim it down and give it a chance to regrow? The leaves turned brownish and there are big holes in a lot of the plants. I am so bummed, this is my first vegetable garden and am hoping to get at least one salad from it.

Leaf lettuces are cut-and-come-again, Sarah, but I'm afraid head lettuces like butter and romaine are one-shot deals. (I know people will say you can re-grow romaine from the base, but I'll have to see it to believe it.) There would usually not be large holes in your lettuce from aphid damage. Are you sure that is what it is?

• KMS Woodworks

my guess is more toward slugs...When I had my greenhouse / garden we would plant a few rows of a leaf lettuce mix...once ready we would harvest a few lineal feet at a time. by the time we got to the end of the row we could start at the front again.

• Sarah Nave

I found the plants covered in aphids so I assumed that was at least one of the culprits.

• Sarah Nave

I think I planted too early, we had a few weeks of great weather last month and I think I jumped the gun.