The Redesign Habit
The Redesign Habit
  • San Diego, CA

DIY Project: Craft/Sewing Station

I had been looking for a piece that I could repurpose into a craft/sewing station and I found this little beauty at my local thrift store for only $12.00. With some additions and modifications I was able to turn it into the perfect work station for my office.
Chest as it looked when I got it home
Chest as it looked when I got it home
I knew it needed to be taller in order to have it at a comfortable working height so I built a frame on the bottom to help add that height. I just took some scrap 2 x 4 pieces that we had lying around and cut them and screwed them on to make the bottom frame.
Bottom of cabinet with frame and casters
I also wanted to be able to easily roll it into the middle of my office if I had something bigger that I was working on so I added four casters that we had saved from another piece of furniture that we had gotten rid of. Adding the casters not only made it mobile but also added on a little more height.
Work surface with screw holes patched
Work surface with screw holes patched
To address a bigger work area, I simply screwed on a 2' x 4' piece of plywood directly to the existing top and countersunk the screws and filled in the holes to have a smooth finished work surface. This too added on about 3/4" to the overall height of the piece.
Main chest with base and casters painted
Once the top was on and the holes filled, it was time to start painting it. I wanted it to be fun so I decided to paint the new base of the chest and the casters teal for a fun accent.
Painted drawer ready for new hardware
Painted drawer ready for new hardware
I removed the old hardware from the drawers and painted them out to match the base and casters. I then painted the work surface and body of the chest with white enamel paint that I had already on hand.
diy project craft sewing station, craft rooms, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
The last stage was to move my new work station into place and I decided to hang a piece of pegboard over it to give me lots of great storage options. It turned out great and is completely mobile so I can move it away from the wall to accommodate bigger projects. I gained plenty of new storage with the pegboard and the drawers on the chest itself plus I got to save an old piece of furniture and turn it into something useful again! Total cost with chest purchase, piece of plywood, pegboard (I had pegboard holders on-hand left over from another project), new handles for the drawers, and spray paint for the drawers and base put the project cost at right around $40!
The Redesign Habit

• Charlotte

Great idea and beautiful, too. I am such a klutz, I would have to round the corners off or I would have bruises everywhere.

• Barb in Texas

This is one of the best projects I've seen on this site. It's colorful, attractive, and doesn't need a lot of fancy power tools or skilled knowledge to build. Best of all, I already have most of what I'd need to build it!