DIY Project: Craft/Sewing Station

I had been looking for a piece that I could repurpose into a craft/sewing station and I found this little beauty at my local thrift store for only $12.00. With some additions and modifications I was able to turn it into the perfect work station for my office.
diy project craft sewing station, craft rooms, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Chest as it looked when I got it home
Chest as it looked when I got it home
I knew it needed to be taller in order to have it at a comfortable working height so I built a frame on the bottom to help add that height. I just took some scrap 2 x 4 pieces that we had lying around and cut them and screwed them on to make the bottom frame.
diy project craft sewing station, craft rooms, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Bottom of cabinet with frame and casters
Bottom of cabinet with frame and casters
I also wanted to be able to easily roll it into the middle of my office if I had something bigger that I was working on so I added four casters that we had saved from another piece of furniture that we had gotten rid of. Adding the casters not only made it mobile but also added on a little more height.
diy project craft sewing station, craft rooms, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Work surface with screw holes patched
Work surface with screw holes patched
To address a bigger work area, I simply screwed on a 2' x 4' piece of plywood directly to the existing top and countersunk the screws and filled in the holes to have a smooth finished work surface. This too added on about 3/4" to the overall height of the piece.
diy project craft sewing station, craft rooms, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Main chest with base and casters painted
Main chest with base and casters painted
Once the top was on and the holes filled, it was time to start painting it. I wanted it to be fun so I decided to paint the new base of the chest and the casters teal for a fun accent.
diy project craft sewing station, craft rooms, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, Painted drawer ready for new hardware
Painted drawer ready for new hardware
I removed the old hardware from the drawers and painted them out to match the base and casters. I then painted the work surface and body of the chest with white enamel paint that I had already on hand.
The last stage was to move my new work station into place and I decided to hang a piece of pegboard over it to give me lots of great storage options. It turned out great and is completely mobile so I can move it away from the wall to accommodate bigger projects. I gained plenty of new storage with the pegboard and the drawers on the chest itself plus I got to save an old piece of furniture and turn it into something useful again! Total cost with chest purchase, piece of plywood, pegboard (I had pegboard holders on-hand left over from another project), new handles for the drawers, and spray paint for the drawers and base put the project cost at right around $40!
The Redesign Habit

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

4 of 11 comments
Next