How to Mount a Staghorn Fern.

The Staghorn fern is this years 'IT' plant. The best way to display these beauties is mounted to an old board...the more aged the better!
Click on the pictures for full instructions.
Mounted Staghorn Fern
Mounted Staghorn Fern
Mounted Staghorn Fern on an recycled old board.
how to mount a staghorn fern, gardening, You will need an old board chicken wire moss and a Staghorn Fern
The supplies you will are: need an old board, chicken wire, moss and a Staghorn Fern.
Press moss around mound
Press moss around mound
Moss helps hold the soil root ball in place once you have it placed on the board.
how to mount a staghorn fern, gardening, Water thoroughly allow to drain and hang where you can enjoy it s magnificence Bright indirect light
Water thoroughly, allow to drain and hang where you can enjoy it's magnificence. Bright, indirect light is best. When you need to water it again, pull it off the wall and soak under in a sink. *** TO GET THE FULL MOUNTING INSTRUCTIONS FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW***
Sow and Dipity

• Sow and Dipity

What the heck is in the air down there, lol! I can't believe the sizes of these staghorns...I've seen big but these are insanely huge! Thanks for sharing your pics everyone...this Northern Gardener is in awe :)

• Jeannie DiMauro

@Sow and Dipity I bet it is the humidity... until you've lived in an area with high humidity 12 months of the year... well, it is hard to explain ...but it IS great for all ferns! Staghorns the size of the ones shown here are not unusual at all and require little care except for the coldest weeks of the year when they're often wrangled indoors and must be frequently misted. My neighbor sets up a huge wood ladder in a corner of her den each winter to overwinter her huge staghorn. It would actually be fine outdoors most of the winter, but is just too huge to drag it inside more than once a year! (We're in Spring/Houston, Texas)

• Vivian J

i just noticed that the squirrels took most of my natural material around my Staghorn,I need to redo it and you gave me a good idea of 'how to'.