Empress of Dirt - Melissa
Empress of Dirt - Melissa
  • Canada

An Unexpected New Gardening Friend

I want to share an unusual story from my garden. One day I arrived home and there was a pigeon at my front door. We don't have many pigeons here (lucky, I know...), and he seemed to be quite tame. We named him PeeBee.
I noticed an ID tag on his leg. I tracked down the owner (a few hundred miles away) and learned PeeBee was actually on a race across Canada but apparently had other plans.
Within a few
I came home one day to find this pigeon waiting at the front door!
PeeBee quickly decided the back garden was him home base. This is how he'd rest in the warm sunshine.
Upon first meeting new birds, he touched his bill to theirs. Funny! I saw this several times. He was very friendly and well-liked by all.
Want some of my seed? PeeBee didn't mind sharing.
At first he flew away from the squirrels but eventually he let them step right past him to go raid the bird feeder.
Even the most wary birds were comfortable with him. I could call him from the house and he'd fly over and perch nearby.
Empress of Dirt - Melissa

• Jud2461774

wow the same thing happened to me the pigeon was waiting by my door when I got home last fri and stayed all night in the outside of my kitchen window but he leaves now at night but is waiting on me in the mornings. He has bands but haven't gotten close enough to look at all the markings...Looks just like yours...

• Barbara

Adorable