2ms2
2ms2
Asked on Apr 9, 2013

My gas dryer stopped working! Help!

SuePatricia MompierMarge
+12

Even though I work for a home improvement website, I am an idiot who just overloaded her dryer. It stopped. My old (I have no idea what year, but it is old) Whirlpool gas dryer stopped mid-cycle, and won't start again. What do I do? Can (how?) can I fix it myself? Should I call a repairman?
This is the dryer that suddenly stopped working.
  • Mary Insana

First thing, check your breaker box. Years ago my dryer stopped working and when I called the repair man the first thing he did was check the breaker and flipped it and sure enough that was all it was. I asked if he was still going to charge me full price and HE DID ! $65 for just coming out.

• 2ms2

@Mary I. THANK YOU! I just flipped the breaker switch like you told me to...and it worked! My dryer started again. You are awesome, and so is Hometalk!

• Mary Insana

So glad I could be of help. Glad you didn't call the repair man like I had done. Now that you fixed the dryer you can buy yourself something new with the money you didn't use to get it fixed :)

• KMS Woodworks

You should upgrade that flexible duct.... Remember this article... http://www.networx.com/article/diy-tips-venting-a-clothes-dryer

• 2ms2

Haha @Mary I. That money is going to the IRS. :)

• 2ms2

@KMS Woodworks I have to open the window and put the flexible duct out there every time I use it. #nycprobs

• KMS Woodworks

Don't remind me...about those taxes. It is sad indeed to know that thousands and thousands of my hard earned tax dollars are being spent on an industrial global WAR machine in foreign lands. 800 BILLION in Iraq, 600 Billion in Afghanistan and still climbing. http://costofwar.com/

• 2ms2

It hurts. I knew some "war tax evaders" in college...old hippies who lived near me...but I would not do that. They earned less than $10,000/year and didn't pay taxes. Not for me.

• Marji

if anything, tear it apart and make a wood burning outside firepit with the drum. They are great!

• Homestar Electric Inc.

If it happens again, I would have it checked by an electrician for loose connections. Circuit breakers trip when they overheat-Sometimes they overheat because of a loose connection.

• Lianne Coates

if it happens often & it's old start saving for a new one!

• Kat

guess what ? old is better according to my son who works on appliances @ big brand store the new front loaders look pretty but will not last like the older ones fyi try the main breaker fuse if its not heating!

• Marge

Have you checked the belt?

• Patricia Mompier

could be a really easy fix go to YouTube and do a search............I did mine was a thermal fuse...........it cost less than 20 dollars and was easy enough to replace...........there are even videos to show you step by step

• Sue

Start with logical. Does the drum turn? If not, you need a new belt. Check Amazon for prices, it's easy to replace with help. I've also found heating elements on Amazon, other parts that saved me a huge repair bill. It's a process of elimination. Best of luck!