Ja Ka Smith
Ja Ka Smith
  • Decatur, GA

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover

Thrift store find: I've always wanted a mudroom, but was lacking the space for one. So I created a 'mudroom look' minus the full space, by using a small space right by my kitchen door. I had recently painted over the 'dated ' knotty pine wood paneling in my kitchen, (Spiced Vinegar paint color by Olympic Paints from Lowes)which gave the background for my mudroom space a beadboard look. I thought it was perfect for the look I wanted.
My next step, I needed a bench to sit on while changeing from my indoor shoes to shoes I wore while working in the yard, and a bench for storage. Seeing how expensive benches can be, I went on a 'thrift store treasure hunt' ( my fav thing to do). I came across this single kitchen wall cabinet priced for only six dollars....and my mind started racing....
I grab it up, brought it home, turned it upside down on it's back and LOW AND BEHOLD!!!... I had my bench with built in storage bins!!...
....with the door closed it provided the perfect seating.
I first gave it a paint job and legs I bought at Home Depot. Didn't quite like the paint color, seeing that it blended in to much with the wall color. So I thought I'd give it a color that would stand out.
Soooo this turquoise color ( Valspar Paint and Primer from Lowes) did the trick. I removed the old knob that was located at the bottom of the cabinet, used a cabinet handle like the ones on my kitchen cabinets ( I will also post pics of my kitchen cabinet makeover at a later time). I centered the handle for easy opening and closing ( just be careful not to sit on it) lol. The front look was created by using two 8x10 picture frames from the dollar store, glued them on, painted them and then added two pieces of word art fabric (I cut to fit the frames) from Walmart craft department. I also gave it a distressed look by lightly sanding certain areas.
Didn't want the inside to feel unloved, so I gave it a 'pop' of color also. AND THERE YOU HAVE IT!!!... I simply love my small space mudroom look I created...
The BEFORE look...
And AFTER... Wall shelf bought from Michaels Craft store which was originally a distressed white, but I painted and distressed to match the bench. Perfect place to hang keys, umbrellas, store mail ( that belong to my children THAT DONT LIVE HERE) lol. The sign, bought from a thrift store about $2.00. Didn't like the original color and words, so I painted over it and wrote my own 'Family' quotes. So the conclusion of the matter..."you don't have to spend a fortune to create the space you love".

• Sylvia Steetz Mallek

So a 200 lb person can sit on a cabinet door? Did you add any support or is the cabinet strong enough to sit on?
    • TONI D

I absolutely LOVE this and the color too (my favorite) Thanks for the inspiration!

• Piane

How do you sit on beautiful storage box with the handle there?
  • Gramlizzy

Did you do anything to the ends which were former top and bottom of cabinet. Love the way it turned out.

• Yvonne

Since I don’t have a whole lot of cabinets, I decided to redo my spare cabinet, to store my baking supplies. see below

• Ja Ka Smith

Ohhhh I looove it!!! GREAT JOB n thx for sharing!! Keep up th good work!!!

• K-Dawn Bennett

I love the colors! I'm thinking this would work in a kids room or food storage for pets and their toys....maybe even craft supplies, garden tools....lots of possibilities!