Use Leftover Paint and Kitchen Grit to Decorate on the Cheap!

I love chalk paint, but not the pricetag!! Wanting that distressed look without the price tag, I decided to try my hand at making due. Crafting doesn't have to be so particular! Play around! See what YOU like best!!
use leftover paint and kitchen grit to decorate on the cheap, chalk paint, crafts, repurposing upcycling
I got a great deal on milk bottles, so that is where I started, but any bottle with raised details will turn out beautifully!
I mixed some baking soda into acrylic paint, then went at it! I added more or less for different projects, and this percentage (...maybe about 80% paint/20% baking soda) was what I like best. You may like less for a less distressed product later...or more! Experiment and have fun creating!!
You'll need several coats to fully cover. Don't paint your next coat until it is fully dry or the wet spots will peel...I just quit and went back and filled those spots back in. That took longer in the long run, so I would suggest that you just not be in a hurry. The softer your brush the less paint strokes you'll have! I like the paint strokes in some places, especially if it's painted all different directions...that's me. I used a long neck bottle to turn my milk bottle onto so I didn't have to try to hold it.
Once your paint is perfect, mess it up!! I had a sanding disc that was a little too coarse, but agian...I already had it. A finer sand paper will give you more control, I would even go for a sanding block if I could choose.
That's it! Perfectly imperfect!! Can you see how the baking soda sort of leaves a white residue in places when you sand it? There will be a lot more dust than you think, so use good judgement on the paints and safety precautions you use!
You can seal this with an acrylic sealer if you think you'll want to wipe the outside of it. I'm using mine for pencils and such, not for fresh flowers. The inside isn't painted so that's not a huge issue, but it would likely get wet filling and emptying it! I'm just cheap!!
There are tons of more in depth tutorials on this, but I'm hoping to inspire you to just do it. With whatever you have. However it turns out! Have fun!!
Treasuredchaos.com

• Elle

Would this mixture work for painting on fabric? It so, use the percentage you used in your post?

• Millie

I have been making my own chalk paint with baking soda and a. Little water. Works great but like she said let dry completely. I just finished an old buffet and sealed it with the Min Wax wipe on Poly I love the feel of it. Can someone tell me why Downy Fabric softener was used, was it the only thing added to the paint?

• Gle11425801

I'm guessing it'd work on wood?

• Jewellmartin

I am inspired to experiment with the percentages of "chalk" and paint. And I want to try baking soda, plaster, Epsom salts, cornstarch, ground chalk, and maybe even salt. After all, the Old Masters used oils, lead, dirt, clay and egg yolks! Ha ha. Thanks 😇