Ways To Organize Your Tools (So You Can Find Them)

$20

Since I'm always doing DIY projects, I have a lot of tools, and leftover project materials hanging around. My problem was that I didn't have organized storage for them, so I could never find what I was looking for when I needed it...which usually meant I ended up going out and buying another one (kind of defeats the purpose of saving "leftover project materials").

Click HERE to see all of my garage and workshop organizing DIY projects.

ways to organize your tools so you can find them, organizing, storage ideas, tools

This is what my workbench looked like "before"...a jumbled mess of all kinds of tools, sandpaper, spray paint cans, left over screws, etc.

And this is what it looks like now...much better! I built a workbench with a fold down top so that I have surface area to work on (you can find the instructions for that on my website: https://www.fromhousetohome.com/build-a-fold-down-workbench/). Then I added some tool organization...which includes pegboard of course!

To save on buying more pegboard hooks for screwdrivers and pliers (the basic set that I bought didn't come with any), I made a shelf out of pegboard. Since some of the tools wouldn't fit in the standard pegboard holes, I used the drill to make the holes bigger...it works perfectly for those long skinny tools!

Did you know electrical boxes make great pegboard baskets? These are the really inexpensive "new construction" electrical boxes...the two nails on either side fit perfectly into the pegboard holes.

I saw an article that had hung screwdriver and drill bits on a magnetic knife strip, which I thought was a great idea but those knife strips are fairly expensive and usually aren't very big (ie. I would need more than one). So instead, I bought some galvanized steel sheet metal and a set of small magnets...you can hang a lot more things for a lot less money!

Wire shelves are great for storing power tools! Tools with blades like circular saws fit right through the holes in the shelving. For tools like drills, cut out one of the wires and the drill will sit upright in the hole...which takes up less space on the shelf and makes them easy to grab.

Install screws into a board (in this case the side of my workbench) for storing hammers.

Build a narrow shelf (the width of a 2" x 4") to hold all those spray paint cans and glue bottles. You can see them all, and the narrow strip of wood on the front keeps them from falling over. I built this one between the legs of my workbench...so it didn't take up any extra space.

That's the first 6 tool organization ideas, but there's 9 more! To see the rest, click HERE to go over to my website.

Wanda @ From House To Home

• Kay

Because I have unfinished walls in my garage, the workbench does not fit flush to wall. Things tend to fall behind the bench. Any ideas to stop that?

• GMC

I suggest if you don’t want to finish the wall, put up a peg board it’s a win win. You now have the void covered up and a way to utilize the wall with storage organization. What a lovely problem.

• Cindy Rubin

These Ideas are awesome! I've been looking for a way to diy something that will hold skinny/heavy yard tools HORIZONTALLY. (especially those with motors and such like weed whackers , hedge trimmers etc. , but also blowers, pole saws and the like. Store bought are too expensive and hard to find and other diy-ers use a whole huge wall. I don't have THAT much wall and I want them to be easier to reach.

Any ideas?