DIY Shag Rag Rug {Tutorial}

$110

I have spent the past 4 weeks making a Shag Rag Rug for Riley's nursery and am thrilled to say that it's finally complete!! It was one of the easiest projects I've ever done; however it was by far the most time consuming, but it was WELL worth it!!! It turned out better than I imagined and looks just like the ones that retail for $600+
Checkout my DIY Shag Rag Rug Tutorial!! I hope you enjoy!
Cut Fabric into 5" by 1" strips
Weave Fabric under one of the holes and back up through another hole (I weaved the fabric in a vertical direction). I left one row of holes empty on all sides.
Pull the fabric so that it’s even on both sides and tie it into a knot (this will hold the fabric in place)
If you are using two colors then you should alternate colors as you go.
Continue adding Fabric Strips alternating colors as you go. It will look bare at first but the more rows you add the fuller it will get. Here is what it looks like after adding two rows of fabric
This is how your DIY Shag Rag Rug will look upclose
This is a completed version of my Shag Rug on wood floors
A picture of how it looks on carpet

The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Jessica

• Sandra McIntyre Cramer
    Sandra McIntyre Cramer

Where do you get the backing that you tie the fabric too? I love this!

• Susie Henry Timmerman Blank
    Susie Henry Timmerman Blank

Can you use old t-shirts as the strips of fabric?

• Kat13684468
      Kat13684468

So darling! How did you store the rug as you were working on it? Rolled or flat?

• Karla Hand
    Karla Hand

Hi Jessica~ your gorgeous rug inspired me to make MY first rag rug!! I am using flannel, two solid colors and one print. I have two questions I need help with: 1) should I wash the material first?; 2) some videos show tying the strips twice instead of once. How do I determine which is correct for my b
    • Charlee Hunter
      Charlee Hunter

I would think it would be necessary to tie twice, as this would create a complete knot. If only tied once I would think it could come loose. Washing first would depend on whether or not the material you are using will shrink when washed. Mostly I don't think I'd worry too much about doing that in this instance.