How to Transform Furniture With Paint and Hardware

Today I bring you...How to Transform Furniture with Paint and Hardware, featuring the dresser, nightstand, and bed frame in my 6-year old's room. In the coming months, I'm on a mission to transform his room into a functional and fun bedroom that he can grow into. I'm envisioning industrial piped shelves, a desk and funky chair or stool, and lots of organized space for my boy after my own heart.
In the meantime, I got a good start on the room by painting the dresser, nightstand, and bed frame. I finished off the new look with some great new hardware.
Since I'm a sucker for a good before and after, let me just give you the low down on these pieces of furniture. They were in good condition, solid wood, and a shade of green that did not make me feel all the happy thoughts. I've long dreamed of Pottery Barn inspired navy blue kids furniture, and it was officially time for the change.
When I had everything sanded down, I gave everything a good wipe down with an old rag. (FYI- using an old sock works great...I just put it on my hand and went to town!) Then came the fun part. Okay, not quite yet. I used my go-to primer, Zinsser Bull's Eye 1-2-3, and gave everything one coat.
One of my favorite parts about the Zinsser primer is that it only requires an hour dry time. I'm impatient to get started with the color, so an hour is good! I used Behr Premium Plus Paint in a semi-gloss finish, color-matched to Indigo Batik by Sherwin Williams. I like the way semi-gloss finishes on furniture, especially in a child's room where durability is key.
I participated in the D. Lawless Hardware Free Hardware Friday and received these Mid Century Modern Havanah Knobs. I cannot explain how much I LOVE them. I think they are the perfect finishing touch and give just the right modern look to the dresser and nightstand.
There you have it...a complete furniture transformation using only paint and hardware. I finished all three of these pieces in about six hours over the course of two days, and did it all for under $30! I love simple changes that make a big impact.
Check out my blog post for more details and pictures!

Jessica Coplen

• Julia Price Manning

Did you sand off all the green paint before you painted it blue? Or did you just go over it roughly?