Laura N
Laura N
  • Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

A stand for iPad

$5

Since I discovered Pinterest I am pinning a lot of recipes. When cooking in my small kitchen there was no real safe place to put the iPad. When I saw these awesome DIY iPad stands on Pinterest, I knew I needed to make one.
I remembered I had this old cutting board my Mother In Law gave me.  It is not hand painted but a decal that came off with lots of sanding!
I remembered I had this old cutting board my Mother In Law gave me. It is not hand painted but a decal that came off with lots of sanding!
I then leveled and glued an old scrabble tile holder to the back (unfinished) board.
Then after priming the back, where the design was, it got a few coats of cream spray paint, front and back.
I decided to add red stripes to give it a custom feel.  I sanded them later to age them.
I decided to add red stripes to give it a custom feel. I sanded them later to age them.
The hardest part was figuring out how to do the easel part.  But DH came up with a small hinge and board to make the easel.  I then used upholstery tacks and twine to have it stay at the right angle.
The hardest part was figuring out how to do the easel part. But DH came up with a small hinge and board to make the easel. I then used upholstery tacks and twine to have it stay at the right angle.
Tacks and twine doing their job!
Tacks and twine doing their job!
Here it is with the iPad, you can use it both ways, I have a case on my iPad, so that is what is sticking up.
Ta-da!  Now I just need to give it a few coats of poly to protect it.  Love how it turned out, and the only cost was for a 3 pack of hinges!
Ta-da! Now I just need to give it a few coats of poly to protect it. Love how it turned out, and the only cost was for a 3 pack of hinges!

Laura N

• Robin Ellison

what a great idea!! I see those old wooden cutting boards at the thrift stores all the time, usually for a dollar or less.

• Judy

That is definitely a great idea! Wouldn't you think that Apple would have come up with some sort of stand before they put the iPad on the market?? Obviously, 'group think' isn't always the most clever. This is!

• Gladys

@Judy Hi, I just read your post and just wanted to add that if Apple had come up with it, it would have cost a whole lot more than we can make them for. :-) I did buy a stand (at Menard's Black Friday Sale) for my 7" Tablet, and it's ok, but certainly less sturdy than this one, and not pretty either. I really like yours, Laura N.!