Nancy at Craft Your Happiness
Nancy at Craft Your Happiness
  • Hot Springs National Park, AR

How To Make a Humane Bug Catcher

If you have an extra kind heart, even towards insects, this humane bug catcher allows you to move them safety from your home while not causing any harm. There are many more detailed photos on my site link at the bottom including a video on how to use it. (Works best for spiders, beetles and crawling things.)
how to make a humane bug catcher, crafts, how to, pest control, repurposing upcycling
SUPPLIES
33 oz. plastic soda bottle with straight sides
Sturdy but thin piece of cardboard
Craft knife
String
2 washers
1/2 PVC pipe cut to about 30 long (Cuts easily with any small hand saw)
Masking tape
Clear packing tape
Small cork the fit inside the end of the PVC pipe (optional)
This is the size of soda bottle I used. It works great and has the flat sides needed.
Cut off a section of your soda bottle. . I cut mine about 6" tall from the screw opening, which is the side you will be using.
You need to fold the end of it into a box shape. Its super easy! If more details are needed there's a video on my article.
Cut a piece of cardboard about 1/2" large than the how squared opening. Tape it to one side to allow it to easily open and close. Place a hole in the top of the cardboard to allow the string to go through.
UPDATE: I added this for those concerned about tiny bugs crawling into the PVC pipe. Do this!
Cut a 32" piece of 1/2" PVC pipe. (Super easy to cut with a small hand saw.) Bolster it up on the end with masking tap to give a snug fit for the bottle.
Wrap more tape around the outside of the bottle end to secure it to the pole.
Run a string down through the PVC pile. Tie a washer on the bottom end.
Run the string through the hole in the cardboard lid. Attach another washer.
Sneak up on a bug on the wall or floor. Slowly slide the cardboard flap next to the big. Some will step into it, some might have to be nudged. Once they fall in close the flap by pulling on the string. Take outside and release!

Nancy at Craft Your Happiness

• Amy W

What a clever idea! Is there something in the neck of the bottle to keep the bug from falling down the PVC pipe? I was thinking a large metal washer with some sort of fabric attached to it could be glued in the neck. Maybe burlap, scrap fiberglass window screen material, or anything that the would allow the string to be passed through would work.

• @Amy W I actually updated my post on my site with an idea for that. Bascially a cork that fits into the end of the PVC pipe with a small hole in it for the string. Works great! Pics are on my post.

• Twi2397178

And how do you keep the bug from falling (or crawling) down the hollow PVC? I'm with Sally! I'll buy another house with the insurance money! LOL

• @Twinzmummay I actually updated my post on my site with an idea for that. Bascially a cork that fits into the end of the PVC pipe with a small hole in it for the string. Works great! Pics are on my post.

• Debbie

Living in an area where there are some MONSTROUS spiders, I am glad to see this one! I'm also thinking using a tin flap on the bottle end and a small tin piece over the hole would make a great pooper scooper for my little dog's run....so inexpensive compared to the scoopers I've seen.

• Myfootsasmokin

Just doing my job.