House Of Hawthornes
House Of Hawthornes
  • Columbus, OH

Making Lightweight Hypertufa Planters

Last summer I made my first set of hypertufa planters.
They have the look of rough cement, but are quite lightweight and they are quite easy to make!

DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE FOUND ON THE BLOG AT Making Hypertufa Containers
Warning - these are sort of addictive to make. You will find yourself making them in all sorts of shapes and sizes.
UPDATE - I have successfully made a hand! I tried it again after tweaking a few things and it worked this time. You can see it at Hypertufa Hands
making lightweight hypertufa planters, container gardening, gardening, succulents, Perlite Sphagnum Peat Moss and Portland Cement and the main ingredients
Perlite, Sphagnum Peat Moss and Portland Cement and the main ingredients.
making lightweight hypertufa planters, container gardening, gardening, succulents, I used two disposable items for each planter You will be pouring the mixture between them so you want them to be different sizes
I used two disposable items for each planter.
making lightweight hypertufa planters, container gardening, gardening, succulents, Two bowls make a great mold You could also use two boxes
Two bowls make a great mold. You could also use two boxes.
making lightweight hypertufa planters, container gardening, gardening, succulents, The mixture poured between the juice container and the pop cup
The mixture poured between the juice container and the pop cup.
making lightweight hypertufa planters, container gardening, gardening, succulents, After drying
After drying.
making lightweight hypertufa planters, container gardening, gardening, succulents, I tried to make a hand using a glove as the mold Would have been perfect to hold succulents but I haven t perfected that one yet The fingers are too thin and kept breaking off
I also tried to make a hand using a glove as the mold, Would have been perfect to "hold" succulents, but I haven't perfected that one yet. The fingers are too thin and kept breaking off :(
making lightweight hypertufa planters, container gardening, gardening, succulents
House Of Hawthornes

• Brenda

How durable is the final product? I'm thinking of making pavers for around my fire pit but want to make sure they wouldn't crumble under the weight of people in chairs or walking on them.
  • Reg23518347

Where do you dispose of the left over mixture? I live in a small but do not know how to dispose of the left over mixture

• John

I also made a flat sheet of hypertufa and when about dry...molded clay consistency....used cookie cutters to cut out stars...also used plaster stencil to create raised patterns on finished planters.
  • Lin Parr

These & the hand are awesome!! Very creative! I love the look of concrete & have a few small, shallow planters but they're pretty heavy when they're empty!!
    So a lighter option with the same look would be ideal!👍🏼❣