DIY: FIRST TIME Chair Reupholstery Project

I had never sewn a single thing before this project, so if I can do this, so can YOU! In my blog I provide readers with a play-by-play photo gallery that chronicles (40 pictures) of the disassembly + reconstruction of my favorite chair. I offer tips and tricks and lessons learned as well.
Chair reupholstery - reconstructing the chair with re-used piping and new fabric.
My favorite chair (before) - lots of years of Mommyhood and raising babies sitting in this chair.  :)
My favorite chair (before) - lots of years of Mommyhood and raising babies sitting in this chair. :)
Removing the back. In my blog I explain how you sort of "discover" what to do next.
I was studying the original construction of the chair in this picture, which I reference all of my pictures later.
Using old remnants as a template. If you're like me and have never sewn before, look above.  All you do?  Trace the original piece, and duplicate exactly what you see.  Straight, strong stitches are all you need.
Using old remnants as a template. If you're like me and have never sewn before, look above. All you do? Trace the original piece, and duplicate exactly what you see. Straight, strong stitches are all you need.
Checking my cuts/sizing.  I would do this often to check the fit. I added LOTS of batting to make the cushions extra soft.
Checking my cuts/sizing. I would do this often to check the fit. I added LOTS of batting to make the cushions extra soft.
Finished!
Finished!
Another shot...very happy and people thought it was professionally done.
Jeanette @SnazzyLittleThings.com

• Sasha

You definitely did a great job. Now come and do my chair.

• Kathryn Sanderson

Looks great! I've been thinking about reupholstering a chair I have that's structurally sound but ratty-looking. You make me think I can totally do it!