An EASY DIY Valentine Table Runner That's ALL Heart!

$12

Decorating a big space, like a center-island in a kitchen can be tricky. An easy way to add a pop of color and a little holiday flair is to make a super easy DIY table runner! Using leftover burlap and a few heart-shaped cookie cutters I was able to put this together in no time!!
I used: burlap, cherry red craft paint, a craft paint brush, a few canned goods and old newspapers.
Measure a piece of burlap to fit your table or center island. I left a few inches for an over-hand on each end. Fray the sides by pulling off some of the burlap threads. If your burlap is wrinkly, be sure to iron it for best results. (It's hard to paint on wrinkled anything)
Use your heart shaped cookie cutter to decide on a pattern or design. I chose to do off set hearts.
Place the cookie cutter on top of the burlap...that is resting on a few sheets of newspaper...remember to protect your surface BEFORE you begin painting. Hold the cookie cutter firmly in place. Squirt a small amount of craft paint into the center of the shape. Spread the paint evenly to the edges of the shape...you may need to add more paint as you go. I used an entire bottle of craft paint for this runner that has about 8 medium sized hearts on it.
After all the hearts are painted, use canned goods to gently lift the burlap from the newspaper. The canned goods will allow the burlap to dry, without the hearts adhering to the newspaper. Remember to go slowly and be gentle, so that you don't disturb the wet hearts while they are drying.
After an hour or two the hearts should be dry. Gently remove the canned goods and discard the used newspaper. I cleaned my cookie cutter and craft brush with warm soapy water while I was waiting for the hearts to dry...clean-up was a snap.
And... now you've made a big holiday statement for just a few dollars and a little of your time. I love that the runner doesn't take up any needed counter space and it's easy to roll up and store for the next holiday.
Please feel free to visit my blog, Blue Ribbon Kitchen for a few more details and photos!
Watch us set the table!! It's so much fun!!

• Burlap  (Hobby Lobby)
  • Craft Paint  (Craft Stores (Walmart has great prices))

Karri @ Blue Ribbon Kitchen

• Dee B

Looks nice. What keeps the paint from running?

• Karri @ Blue Ribbon Kitchen

Craft paint is thick to begin with and I think the weave of the burlap allows it to soak into the fibers... It just works. :). Holding the cookie cutter firmly in place helps to keep the edges of the shape sharp.

• Dee B

Thank you for taking the time to answer my query. I appreciate it. I bought what I thought was craft paint to add some design to plain beige pillows. I live near Michaels. I should be able to find it there, or do I need fabric paint?

• Peg

This is so cute. Wish I would have seen it before I "got clever". I purchased a $90 left over Christmas floral decoration for 90% off and removed Christmas decorations and added hearts . Cute but I like yours.

• Terri G

Thanks for the inspiration! I just did this on Friday. I didn't have hollow hearts so I traced around mine and painted them in. I also found ivory colored burlap. Who knew there were so many colors of burlap out there?!