Lindsay Eidahl
Lindsay Eidahl
  • Cedar Rapids, IA

How To Turn A Garage Cabinet Into A Farmhouse Hutch

DIY projects are so rewarding for so many reasons and I hope to write a post all about that some day soon. One of the best things about DIYing a piece of furniture is that you can make a "not-so-high-end" piece look a lot more expensive.
That is exactly what I did with this cabinet.
In four steps, I am going to show you how to turn a garage cabinet into a farmhouse hutch.
how to turn a garage cabinet into a farmhouse hutch, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture
This cabinet was not in the best shape. The lady selling it was ready to get organized and purge things she wasn't using. This cabinet was built by her dad a long time ago to store things in their garage when she was growing up. She is in her 70's so this cabinet was made many, many years ago. The cabinet had many great things going for it, but it also had its issues. It wasn't made with the best wood and the countertop was falling apart. The base had water damage and the bottom half of the cabinet was VERY deep. I knew it had potential though and started planning its makeover before I got it home.
In four steps, we were able to make this cabinet beautiful.
Step 1 was all about cutting. We cut the depth, bottom and top. We also cut a new board for the coutnertop.
Step two was all about adding trim!
Step 3 and 4 are all about paint and hardware. Once I painted the cabinet all one color, it looked like it had always been that way.
I changed up some of the hardware as well.
I left the integrity of the original cabinet by not painting the inside. The wood makes a perfect backdrop for how you would want to decorate the hutch! See more details of this transformation in my post.
Lindsay Eidahl

• Miren Ruiz

Three types of shooters? (translated from Spanish):Tres tipos de tiradores??

• Nancy Jenkins

What did you use if you did take old paint off? I have something that age in utility room.