Brian & Kaylor Master Bedroom Makeover

Today is the master bedroom reveal! We love how the new makeover has come together and how the room is a great mix of coastal and country. Our master bedroom has already had one makeover. It was done with the headboard and bedding we used in our New Orleans home and with lots of hand me down furniture.

Here is what the bedroom looked like when we bought the house in 2013.

The only thing new we did in this room was the flooring (done with the rest of the home when we first moved), the ceiling fan and paint. Everything else I just made work. The kitchen renovation, getting moved in and trying to organize had priority over the master bedroom.

For this makeover, I painted bedside tables and refinished a dresser. New bedding and curtains were purchased as well as a new headboard. Our bathroom was being renovated at the same time and the small space had 4 doors. We decided to do the barn style sliding doors for the entry to get rid of a door and they double as gorgeous wall decor for our room. More on those later. The sign over the bed I made for less than $20! That post is coming soon. The rest of the decor are things I had in boxes still from the move just waiting for a home or I stole from another room. The wall over the dresser is still a work in progress. I would also like to put natural shades over the two small windows next to the bed and have the curtains pulled to one side but that is getting picky and will probably never happen.

To see photos of the first makeover, and more photos and all the details of this makeover, please visit blog.

15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Brian & Kaylor

• Kim McCall Snider
    Kim McCall Snider

Kaylor, although I loved your makeover, I felt compelled to write because of your unusual name. My mom’s maiden name was Kaylor. Having a very common name from the 60’s I wanted to give my daughter an unique name, Jessica Kaylor. She in turn named her daughter Kaylor Bellalee. I’ve never seen the name used until today. Do you have a story behind the name? 😳

• Susan QC
    Susan QC

Hi. I'm curious about the barn doors. Looking at the photos, it appears that one of the doors would cover the opening. If so, do you just move one hanging door, or do you have them meet in the center and overlap the walls on both sides? Or is the opening wider than it looks in the photos? I'm planning something similar and would appreciate any input! Thanks.

• Katy Freeman Wilkins
    Katy Freeman Wilkins

Very pretty, and simple to do as well as cheap (in a good way). I love that the bed coverings give a nice, bright pop of color, especially the Aztec print bedding. Really lights up the more subdued wall colors and neutral gray print curtains. Also I think those curtains are very pretty AND neutral enough that if much later on down the line, you decide you want, say, blue walls and different colors/prints bedding etc, new rugs, and so forth, the curtains will still be perfect.

The nightstand/dresser is VERY cute. I haven’t had a chance to read blog so forgive me if the question is a dumb one, but what is the story with that? Did you paint or put on new pulls, or did it come that way?? I am doing my bedroom and would love something like that. I always need drawer space.