Dennis K
Dennis K
  • Orlando, FL
Asked on Jan 20, 2012

replace front entry door

Linda DWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.comDan's of Central Florida, Inc.
+4

what type front entry door is best and what companies have you used.I live in Orlando.
  • 3po3

I can't help you with the Orlando company, but I would recommend fiberglass. Some people don't like them because they don't match the look of wood, but they are more durable and secure, and provide better insulation.

• I would agree and disagree with Steve on this. Fiberglass doors have come a long way and offer several advantages over steel and wood. With new manufacturing methods, they can design a door exactly like a wood door. With grain and color. However because you live in a hurricane area, there are special building codes that you must be aware of when choosing a door. It must meet all sorts of special wind and impact specifications that the doors we northern folks do not have to contend with. I would think that who ever you decide to purchase your new door from will understand these requirements and help you choose not only a door you like because of looks, but that will withstand what ever mother nature puts at it.

• 3po3

Good point, Woodbridge.

• Dennis K

Thanks Steve G. and Woodbridge.I will probably go with Fiberglass but ask questions about impact resistance.Dennis.

• I can't be sure about this, but places aren't supposed to even sell things locally that do not meet building code. Still, I would ask about it just to be safe.

• Dan, I would think so too, but I too would ask about it as well. Guess it all has to do with the place selling the product.

• Linda D

Use a fiberglass door. I think it has nice details and is perfect for the type of weather in Florida.