Maureen Durno
Maureen Durno
  • Australia
Asked on Apr 12, 2013

Old fencing boards

SuzannBborowyMcgypsy9
+6

we are replacing some fencing and I want to use some of the old board to make some items any suggestions I hate to give things to landfill or burn them...thank you
  • What type of fence boards are they? Rough cut oak, picket, A lot of the three board rough cut oak boards can be run though a plan to freshen up the exterior of the wood making it perfect for construction of all sorts of goodies. But knowing a bit more, perhaps a photo of the fence, will help people give you some great ideas on what to do with the wood.

• Gail Salminen

@Maureen Durno great idea to repurpose them. If you look at the pallet ideas, you may get some inspiration. We have kept out old fence boards under the deck and use them for various projects - creating a shelf in a repurposed dresser. You could consider making a planter, a potting bench etc. When I used them for the shelf, I just used a sander to smooth out the face of the boards, the ends were evened out when the size was cut to fit the shelf. Also used the boards to fit the opened back where two drawers were removed. Easy enough to do. Do share your projects here, with pics. Thanks for posting :)

• Ann Burton

You can paint them and make garden signs.

• Maureen Durno

thank you you wonderfu l people love to recycle...I will keep them all in mind xx

• Gail Salminen

@Maureen Durno I just found this post on HT. It is all about ways to use pallets, I think a number of them could also be adapted to fence boards. It is a post by @Crafty Texas Girls and is located here - http://www.hometalk.com/1289534/11-ways-to-use-pallets-in-your-home-decor You may have to visit her blog to see all of them.

• Maureen Durno

well that was truly fabulous...gotta try some of these how nice of you once again thanks Maureen D

• Mcgypsy9

They also make great coat racks. Just use like 3 or 4 of them attached with smaller boards add coat hooks, mirrors, whatever and hang in your entry. Pinterest has tons of them! Just go to search and type in coat rack diy or coat rack ideas. There are lots of things!

• Bborowy

I scrubbed them and have used them for baseboards throughout my house.

• Suzann

I cut three boards down to the size I wanted, screwed two 1x2 boards on the back to make a frame and glued a poster on the front. After the poster dried I hung it and it looks beautiful. The only cost was the 1x2 and the screws. It measures about 36" x 24"

, This is the frame I made from fence boards that had been weathered for about 15 years