Phil Bauman
Phil Bauman
  • Louisburg, NC
Asked on Apr 12, 2013

I have a friend that is looking for 20-25 Leyland Cypress trees.

Douglas HuntPhil Bauman
+1

Does anyone have a good contact for purchasing good quality plants in the Wake / Johnston / Franklin country areas? Any advice on planting and feeding them would be helpful too. Thank you.

Phil, I think your friend may want to reconsider his plant choice. Leyland Cypress are increasingly susceptible to a number of problems including Seiridium canker, Botryosphaeria dieback and Cercosporidium needle blight, not to mention infestations of bagworms and spider mites. I'm linking to an article from Clemson University that addresses the problems and offers alternatives. To my mind the most important point the article makes is that a screen of one type of plant is almost always a bad idea. Diversity is the best way to ensure plant health. http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/landscape/trees/hgic1025.html

• Phil Bauman

Douglas, thank you once again. Any suggestions on 3 or 4 various shrubs, that would be ideal for a somewhat uniform border?

• Phil Bauman

Phil, the article makes some good recommendations. I like wax myrtles and think they would be good in combination with a mixture of viburnums. You'll have an attractive border and one that is a haven for birds and other wildlife.