Nancy L
Nancy L
  • Mountain City, TN

Building a Greenhouse From Old Windows

$1500.00
10 Months
Advanced

I wanted a greenhouse so we found windows on Craigslist, not quite enough but we already had some smaller ones.
building a greenhouse from old windows, diy, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
So day two the post have set in concrete and the band is added
Next the rafters go up, this is where a buddy comes in handy.
Rafters are done and everything tied in .
The first of many windows going in, it was like putting a puzzle together.
More windows
Got the gravel in before the last wall of windows
Adding some siding on the corners and under the windows where the potting table and gas heater will be.
Nothing like a little paint to pretty it up.
This is the roof , it's two layers of polycarbonate panels with a two inch air space between them .
A view of the potting table and gas wall heater
Plant shelves and lots of hanging basket hooks.
The gutters are up complete with a rain barrel for watering. Some landscapes get to make it all cozy looking. Some of the pictures were taken in the early evening making it look shaded, the greenhouses eats full sun until about 4pm with only the potting table in the shade in the later part of the afternoon.

• Holly Jo

How much was your total cost to build this?

• Leslie Polanco

This is so cute and functional!!! My question is actually about part of the decor... Can you tell me what those colored balls are? They look like glass but can't really tell... They add a colorful touch!! And can you tell us where they came from please? It is all great!!!!!

• Kimberly Grosvenor

What are the dimensions of the greenhouse?

• Joni Kinsey

It beautiful! A lot work done....I'm curious, is the material for the roof sturdy enough to use for deck covers.

• Claudia

Where did you find the panels for the roof?

• Nancy L

The corrugated panels came from Lowes we used 2 layers with a space between them to trap air and help with heating.

• Mary Ann Bittle

You say a rain barrel installed, but I see a gutter downspout all the way down to the ground... did you only catch rain from one side?

• Lynn

Is there a link to more information about putting the roof together? I love this idea--I have been planning something like this for a long time and am working on learning all I can before actually getting started. Thanks--your greenhouse is beautiful!

• Tim

This is one I love to dive into. Try to get the roof on last. I have been planning this one since I was a littler. Hope to get started sometimes.

• Tim

It takes how long and how much.

• Tim

Is the roof sturdy?

• Gilmer Gal

Looks like it has plenty of framing to handle keeping the roof sturdy. It's not that large of a building.

• Tim

How much would a person have to pay?

• Kerri

It said at the top about $1,500.00. Which is a chunk of change. Good luck, it is beautiful.

❤️

• Yasmin Hussain

I too would like to know the cost. I live in Houston.

• Larry Oed

I also made a green house out of windows but my windows where diffrent sizes

Then for the roof i made it a pitched roof with 6mil plastice

• Tim

Wow

• Tim

That's a stack of cash my friend.

• Larry Oed

The windows i used i would look around town for windows on the curb or put out for city trash day

So they did not cost anything except a little gas

• Kathleen Church

I have snow in the winter, would the roof hold a lot of snow?