Rustic Pallet Wood Valentines Heart

I know it feels like we just put away the Christmas decorations but Valentine's day will be here before you know it and I have just the decoration for you...a pallet wood heart.
I could have even put up last years heart, but since I got a fresh supply of pallet wood for Christmas (thank you brother-in-law Bill), I was feeling junky creative.
rustic pallet wood valentines heart, pallet, shabby chic, valentines day ideas, wall decor, woodworking projects
I've always loved Valentine's Day and it was not just about the Whitman's sampler...OK, maybe it was just about the chocolate but it was also about showing someone your love. What better way than to put your heart out there?
Start your valentine heart by laying out strips of pallet wood for the background. Mine measured about 19 inches square. I know it looks like it could be the size of a coaster, but it really is over a foot and a half square.
With newspaper or other large paper, cut out a heart pattern.
Cover the heart pattern with another layer of pallet wood. Keep going until the heart is completely covered.
Pull the pattern out from under the pallet wood, place it back over top of the wood and trace around the heart.
Use the heart outline you just traced to cut out the shape with a jigsaw or scroll saw.
Use finishing nails or builders adhesive to attach the heart to the background.
For one of my pieces, I wanted to include a love letter my grandfather had sent my grandmother while he was away at college. I never knew my grandfather, but his letters are rather special. I purposely enlarged the letter to be bigger than my block of wood.
Since I wanted a little of the pallet wood color to shine through, I decided to print the letter out on tissue paper.
Modpodge the letter into place.
The background was staying together with just the nails from the heart, but just to be sure, gave the back of the heart a couple of cross braces.
For two more of the pallet wood pieces, used a watered down mixture of brown and red to paint a rustic barn wood color on the heart.
When the barn wood color was dry, it was lightly sanded for that vintage, aged look.
Finished up the heart with a simple rusty hinge...it doesn't move anything, but it adds a little bling.
To see more pictures and tips on printing on tissue paper click on the link below.
To see last years valentine, also made from pallet wood and also free, click on this link. I think you'll like it. Then you'll just have to decide which one to make.
http://scavengerchic.com/2015/01/12/pallet-wood-valentines-day-heart-diy/
ScavengerChic

• Mickey Baron

This is SO precious! I have saved old love letters to! What a keepsake to pass on!
  • Irene

i tried this and it came out great. used my grandfather's love letter to my grandmother. thanks for the great idea.