Faidra at  CA Global Inc
Faidra at CA Global Inc
  • Marietta, GA
Asked on Jan 22, 2012

blacl spots on base of oak tree

Faidra FordMaria brown360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
+4

I have a huge oak tree in my backyard and it has black spots on the bottom that look like burn marks, someone said it is mold, does anyone know a horticulrist (sp) in the Marietta area I can call?
  • Faidra, you might try contacting Four Seasons Nursery & Landscaping, here is their profile: http://www.hometalk.com/member/b15195f3e8 They are pretty active here on Hometalk and really seem like they know what they are talking about. I'm sure they can help you out.

• Your local Master Gardeners at your county extension office should know. We look at things under the microscope to diagnose. Sometimes it can be from seasonal rains and excess mulch or leaves piled against the trunk. Always keep mulch at least 2-3 inches from the trunk of all trees and shrubs. Tar spot fungus appears as spots on the branches of shaded oak trees. The spots could be an indicator of root rot, fungus, disease, or pest problems. Look for other symptoms on your tree. Are there cankors, do other branches have galls, is there fungal growth around the roots or at the soil line. This could present as mushroomy things, stringy growths. Johnson Tree farms could likely diagnose the problem over the phone or via pictures. You also submit a photo to UGA Horticulture department.

• Walter Reeves

Can you post pictures?

• Faidra at CA Global Inc

Thanks guys I'll post photos soon

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Spot on questions Flowerscapes!

• Maria brown

I have a beautiful oak tree, there are dark brown spot all around the base of the trunk. Now we just discovered there are like round mushroom cocoons like around the twigs we took one twig down and look at the growth which looks like a tumor we broke it half and there is a tiny little insect inside could be a mite or maybe a beetle type. And now there are several branches affected. What can I do to treat my tree?

• Faidra Ford

I was told it was mold because we had pushed to much dirt around base of tree. We dug around and down until we could see surface of shallow roots that branched out from tree. The dark spots went away.