Faidra at  CA Global Inc
Faidra at CA Global Inc
  • Marietta, GA
Asked on Jan 22, 2012

wild onions and weeds sprouting in my zoysia

Dan's of Central Florida, Inc.Faidra at  CA Global IncWalter Reeves
+2

what should I do to combat this issue, the grass is alread slowly starting to green due to the warm weather, should I spot kill these, hand pull or treat the whole yard, and if so with what?
  • Mike and Anne

Wild onions got an early start this year. They need to be killed with weed killer - either spot treated or spraying the entire lawn depending on the extent of the problem. Pulling them out of a dense Zoysia lawn is difficult because the bulb usually gets left in the ground where it will grow and resprout next fall.

• Faidra, these can be rather annoying and somewhat labor intensive to get rid of. Your first choice is simply to dig them out, roots and all. Also, something like Roundup will kill them, but you have to break the leaves/stalks of the onion plant and sort of "wash" it with the Roundup. I have heard (though not tested myself) that mowing your lawn every 5 - 6 days for a few weeks will also kill them off.

• Walter Reeves

Check the label on Image for Nutgrass to see if it would work in your situation

• Faidra at CA Global Inc

Thanks guys, I'll try the mowing down then spot spraying with the weed killer

• Let me know how the mowing things works out for you. I have only heard that second hand and am curious to see how it really works (or not). Good luck!