Creating a French Country Kitchen Cabinet Finish Using Chalk Paint

We are in the midst of a mini kitchen DIY reno. Hubby finally caved and agreed to let me paint our wood cabinets and I created a french country rustic feel for them using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.
creating a french country kitchen cabinet finish using chalk paint, chalk paint, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Before shot of our kitchen It is on the small side and was very dark
Before shot of our kitchen. It is on the small side and was very dark.
creating a french country kitchen cabinet finish using chalk paint, chalk paint, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, We tore out our existing backsplash and created a custom hood above the cooktop I opted to use Annie Sloan Chalk Paint to help me achieve the french country feel I was looking for Working on finishing up the rest of the cabinet doors
We tore out our existing backsplash and created a custom hood above the cooktop. I opted to use Annie Sloan Chalk Paint to help me achieve the french country feel I was looking for. Working on finishing up the rest of the cabinet doors. NOTE: The cabinet doors are back on. I was in the middle of completing them when I took time out to do the tutorial for my readers. I would never leave all that stuff in the cabinets if they were to have been open shelving.
creating a french country kitchen cabinet finish using chalk paint, chalk paint, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Old Ochre paint and new knobs
Old Ochre paint and new knobs.
creating a french country kitchen cabinet finish using chalk paint, chalk paint, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, I use a moist sanding block to sand with It keeps the dust at bay and makes a buttery smooth finish
I use a moist sanding block to sand with. It keeps the dust at bay and makes a buttery smooth finish.
creating a french country kitchen cabinet finish using chalk paint, chalk paint, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Dark wax applied to help age the cabinets
Dark wax applied to help age the cabinets.
creating a french country kitchen cabinet finish using chalk paint, chalk paint, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, It is a long process to achieve this look but to us well worth it
It is a long process to achieve this look but to us well worth it.
creating a french country kitchen cabinet finish using chalk paint, chalk paint, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, I stil am working on finishing up the remainder of the cabinets but am just thrilled with how far our kitchen has come from where we first started
I still am working on finishing up the remainder of the cabinets but am just thrilled with how far our kitchen has come from where we first started.
creating a french country kitchen cabinet finish using chalk paint, chalk paint, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting
After all the cabinet doors were completed and placed back on.
From My Front Porch To Yours

• Paula Danks- Drahos

Love your cabinet transformation. I love Annie Sloan chalk paint. I have used it to renew some furniture pieces in my home. I love your backsplash and was wondering if you could tell me more about it. I have a similar look in my kitchen with my cabinets and granite countertop and as the granite is busy I am looking for a backsplash that isn't.

• Hunter Hampton

I'm not the gal who did this brilliant kitchen, but I may be able to help. I did the same backsplash using tumbled marble subway tiles from Lowes. I did a little differently, I butted the tiles up to each other, and didn't grout........ that was the holes didn't get filled in with grout. Here's a photo.

, Tumbled marble subway tiles no grout
    • Katherine

I LOVE that tile, Hunter Hampton! Your kitchen is beautiful!

• Paula Danks- Drahos

Thanks Hunter for replying. I love your backsplash. I was able to find a glazed subway tile in a taupe color at Home Depot and it is getting installed next week. I can't wait! I'm so excited. We did our kitchen remodel 4.5 years ago and this will be the finishing touch.

• Sherry B.

Love the look !! Did you pre sand to knock down the polyurethane finish for better contact with your paint ?

• Bink

I thought you said you custom built a new range hood? I am confused because I can't figure out where the exhaust is? Your kitchen is spectacular ! How does the wax alone make the distressed look or do you sand it prior to waxing?

• The exhaust is up inside where you see the light shining down. The dark wax helps contribute to the aged look buttes you sand as well.

• Jewellmartin

i couldn't find the exhaust either! I like everything I see in this kitchen. But I'm guessing "From My Front Porch to Yours" is very tall. The coffee cups are on top of the fridge. A shorter person would have to stand on a ladder to reset the clock or change batteries. And a shorter person wouldn't be able to reach the exhaust switch if it is above the cooktop. Dreaming of this kitchen 😇
  • Joette

That is a very big job to take on. It looks great! I have never heard of Annie Sloan Chalk paint before. Will you be able to wash the cabinets?

• Karla Staebler Holt

Take a look online! Greatest paint ever! You poly seal after painting and yes you can wash them.

• Yellow Barn Interiors

You an also go on pinterest to look up formulas to make your own chalk paint on the cheap. Saves tons of money on a big project.

• Annie Doherty

Agree Yellow Barn Interiors I use latex paint, mixed with Plaster of Paris and water, same effect for much less money especially as it goes so far.

• Yellow Barn Interiors

Yes, and you are not boxed into their few color choices. The sky's the limit when you make your own chalk paint. You can even use baking soda as a mix in instead of plaster of paris, also. Then you can antique it after with a little gel stain if you want that affect.

• Annie Doherty

Wow I haven't tried this version, is it as effective as the POP this sounds interesting, I don't suppose you have the recipe? as I'do love to try this out thank you.

• Janice Van Cleve Rasmussen

You can google the recipe...

• Vbl9105899

I did my whole bedroom suite in Annie Sloan that same color, but used the clear wax... A quart did the dresser, chest of drawers, two night stands, headboard and mirror... That's the only paint I use now.. Love the dark wax.. Wow.. I'm so going to do my kitchen cabinets.. You did a beautiful job..

• Denise

in process of working on same look ... lighter chalk paint & "aged" uppers & dark brown (regular paint) on lowers. Questions: did you sand before applying the wax or after ... was your sanding block a certain grit .. did you just spray the block with water or soak it ...did you wipe with a tack cloth after then apply a poly coat. sorry so many questions.

• Dusty

I'm not sure of the answer to most of your questions, but when I apply chalk paint to kitchen cabinets, a wash them with a degreaser. Sanding and priming is not necessary unless you have old paint that ran and dried. As long as it's smooth and oil-free, chalk paint should cover it easily. You MUST apply the wax over the chalk paint to seal it good.

• Janet

Love the look. How many coats of paint did it take and how many cans of paint did you need?

• Fre7703514

Can this paint be used on metal and wood cabinets? What is the dark wax?

• Mary imhoff

It literally is a dark colored wax. Wax seals the chock paint.

• Suz1301961

I think Mary meant "chalk" paint

• Dusty

Yes, you can paint metal with chalk paint. When you first apply the chalk paint, it looks like it might wipe off easily. Once you seal it with the wax, it's not going anywhere. You can apply a dark wax or a light wax. The dark wax gives it an aged look.

• I would not attempt to use on metal surfaces. Unless the surface is scuffed up pretty well the metal will be too slick for the paint to adhere to it.

• Debbie

Can u seal it with poly sealer even after u wax it?

• Terri E

No. From my research, you have to remove the wax first.

• Dusty

Annie Sloan wax is amazing. I went on a chalk painting\waxing frenzy a couple years ago. I was a little skeptible about the durability of the wax over time (especially with many grandchildren), but it's as beautiful now as the day I applied it. I simply wipe it down with a wet rag wuth a spot of dish soap. No need for a poly sealer.

• Cherryl Rogers

I too and addicted to Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Love how your kitchen turned out.

, I just did my buffet from my Grandmother and love it
  • Christine Blocher

Are you keeping the bottom cupboards as they are in the picture?

• Carole White

Did you use a clear wax prior to applying the dark wax? Everything looks beautiful; those knobs are gorgeous as is the hood area above the cooktop!!

• Gail S

Basted on my exprience painting with ASP; clear with a small amount of dark in corners & edges for a distressed look

• Margaret Dignard

ARE YOU GOING TO PAINT THE LOWER CABINETS TOO?

• Courtney Coster

What clear coat could someone use besides the wax? We cook alot, like you said in your article wax may not be the best option...

• Ronna Coulter Keeter

I can't seem to find the Annie Sloan chalk paint in a store here. Any suggestions?

• Shawna Bailey

Where do you live? you can also use Americana brand or rustoleum's chalk paint they are very good and can be ordered online.

• ANNIE DENNY

purple painted lady sells paint online! Great customer service.

• Jer4502549

It's beautiful & I'd like to finish my already refinished off-white cabinets with this process, but, I'm confused. In your photos with explanations, it seems you didn't sand the brown doors 1st b4 using the chalk paint, but, further on after the chalk paint is on you suggest sanding with a wet sandpaper for dust. Thank you!

• Jer4502549

Sorry, I found the answer after bringing up the link from your update on the project.

• Carla Smith

I just finished my cabinets and some have cracking of the paint after it dried.then I sanded and sealed with Liz and its still cracking.any suggestions?
  • Janice Cash Stowe

My cabinets are white what would be a good to to make them look better ?
    • Depends on what you are wanting to do in your kitchen Janice? Adding hardware always transforms cabinets nicely if they do not already have hardware. We are getting ready to do that in our new kitchen.

• And32736725

I have boring white cabinets in my kitchen. The previous owner had them refaced with laminate that is cracked and chipping in places. They don't need new hardware, they need a real face-lift! I would love to get the same "antique" white-wash look in my kitchen! Will your process work to transform blah white into classy French White? Any suggestions on how to cover the chips in the laminate? Thank you!

• Marilyn Vaden

Did you apply a wax coating or sealer after it all dried?
  • Yvo5790399

I want to know more about your custom hood over the cooktop
  • Pamela Ritter

where do you get Annie Sloan paint in the US
  • And32736725

I have boring white cabinets in my kitchen. The previous owner had them refaced with laminate that is cracked and chipping in places. They need a face-lift! I would love to get the same "antique" white-wash look in my kitchen! Will your process work to transform blah white into classy French White? Do you have to start with dark cabinets first to get the dark tones in the recesses or does the dark wax do that? Any suggestions on how to cover the chips in the laminate? Thank you!

• Ardale

Beautiful transformation! Do you plan on doing your lower cabinets in this painting technique as well? One minor suggestion I have is if you painted the short wall above your upper cabinets in a slightly darker color in the same hue family it would make your cabinets poop even more. All your hard work paid off big time! Love them!

• Bernie Moon

So didn't you do the bottom too?

• Sonya

Where did you get your new knobs from.....

• Kim O'Toole

Looks great! I am about to redo my kitchen table and chair set using Annie Sloan Chalk paint. I really like the color of your cabinets, can you tell me which color(s) you used?

Thanks in advance!

• Nadine Ritchie

What color did you use?