K
K
  • Minneapolis, MN
Asked on Apr 13, 2013

Mantel Potential

Lisa HouseWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.comMary Insana

I'm interested in adding a mantel to my fireplace but am a little cramped in my sitting room. Does anyone have suggestions? I don't want to remove any of the existing elements, only build on. And I'd like to do it myself - aka have my husband do it :)
sent from my, home decor, living room ideas
  • Mary Insana

Do you have Craigs List in your area? Look for mantles on there. I know here in Pittsburgh there's always nice new and vintage mantles listed for anywhere from $50-$150.

• Many fireplace stores and home centers sell mantel kits that you can purchase to install yourself. Or if your handy simply look at your current interior trims to get an idea of shapes that blend and purchase wood trims at the local home center and construct your own. The mantles can be from a simple one or two inch type sticking out to several inches where you can place candles and decorations on. Do a search on the top of the page for fireplace mantles to get some ideas of what people have done.

• Lisa House

What is the name of the wall color?