We painted the outdated upholstery on these antique chairs with a mixture of 50% Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey and 50% water. We misted the fabric with a spray bottle of water with each coat of paint so that the fabric would absorb the paint and not be stiff. It took three coats of paint, with about 24 hours of drying time between each coat. We stenciled a french design on each chair using Annie Sloan Graphite. The blue stripe was stenciled with Aubusson Blue. We then distressed and glazed the arms and legs. You can see the full tutorial here: http://bella-tucker.com/2013/04/painting-fabric-with-annie-sloan-chalk-paint/ fabric upholstery Sloan Chalk Paint
Painting fabric upholstery with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
13 Questions on This Project See All
- Hi there. I don't seem to be able to get a definitive answer from Annie Sloan about whether or not to use a fabric medim in the paint.... will the stencil rub off. or how do you clean it as necessary? Did you have to use a fabric medium in the paint to "set" the stencil into the fabric and make is washable? It looks beautiful, but will it wear off and how to clean? Many thanks.
- My once beautiful burgundy red patio umbrella is now a faded version of it's self. Can anyone tell me of a "spray paint" and a "water proof sealer" that I can use to bring back it's color? I believe the material is canvas... it's not a see thru material, and is quite sturdy. The crank up mechanics and the tilt part both still work great, so I'd like to give it some color to match my new chairs and table set. It would cost me $100 or more to replace the umbrella, so I'm hoping some one can help me out. Thank you in advance!!! 8-)
- I painted an ugly upholstered chair by spraying it with denim rit dye, but the color wipes off onto clothing and your skin. Can I seal it with annie sloan wax or do you suggest painting over it?
- Hello! I just picked up a free settee that is tone-on-tone striped; I'd like to paint every other stripe a different color - what kind of tape would work best to get a clean, straight edge?
- Upholstery painting. Would it work well on a much used sofa in a family room and is it stiff feeling?