A Colorful Alternative To Curtains

I decided against the usual window treatment for this kitchen window. I live in an apartment, so the windows are cheap. I wanted to try to take the attention away from the ugly windows. So I came up with a fun alternative to curtains.
Here is the window before:
As you can see, boring and ugly. It looks out on my patio. I'm lucky to have a large patio with a privacy fence where I can garden in containers. But right now, everything out there is dead and boring as well.
I went through my vintage linens and chose some to iron.
Then I took an expandable/spring rod and put it up in the window, leaving space to layer linens over it.
I just added them without giving it much thought, which I think gives it a whimsical look.
I had all these colored bottles I'd been collecting. So I lined them up along the window sill.
I have simple mini blinds that I can pull down at night for extra privacy. But during the day, I pull them all the way up to enjoy the view.
I just love to see the sun shining through my colored bottles. It's like a rainbow. Or stained glass.
Everyone comments on them. And it was such a simple thing to do.
So if you're tired of curtains, you might think about vintage linens. And maybe even colored bottles!
You will need:
Vintage Linens
An Expandable Curtain Rod
Colored Bottles
Enjoy!

Brenda @ Cozy Little House

• Debbye Hicks

But the other thing in this picture is beautiful too, and it's your valance! What are the components that you used to make it and are those just lying up on a rod or what, please?

• 16999903

Hi Brenda.....We use the window sill for plants and other kitchen decor that isn't too cluttered that works for us....however, your colorful bottle display is so cheery. Your window valance is precious. I have almost the exact idea in mind for the kitchen window since it looks out the front and I'd like a bit more privacy. I had a couple of vintage table runners, but I needed more. We have a couple of really good thrift stores here other than Goodwill. I began collecting them as I drove by and stopped in to see what was available. Now I have a great selection to choose from for the kitchen window. Some of these runners would be beautiful small accent pillows, or cut down to be a keepsake wedding ring pillow. There are so many ideas how to use them!

• Marie Tuttle

I have double windows and no window ledge. I'm thinking of opening the inner window and placing colored bottles, etc. between the two windows. Think that would work????

• 16999903

Marie....It's hard to answer without more detail or a photo. Are you planning on keeping the inner window up? If so....you might want to cut a 1"x 4" board to act as a window ledge, even if it juts out over the wall a little. Paint it white and secure it with silicon gel.....or something you can pry up if you change it later. To really make it look like a window sill...you could add a strip of thin 1" molding under the ledge. That should give you plenty of space for colorful glass bottles or vases.
  • Darlene Ernst

Does anyone know how to color glass bottles like this? Something that would just tint the glass.