Asked on Jan 18, 2016

Placement of roman shades

Marion NesbittSwan Road DesignsMarlene Haigh
+12

I have these beautiful windows in my bedroom...they currently are being covered with the paper-ish cellular blinds... they are not the color that I want in the room, they are a purplish color... I want to hang roman shades, but I am not sure where they should hang from...I don't know if I want to hide the beautiful wood, and the arch windows surrounding the windows, but I am not sure I like where the current blinds hang, any suggestions?
It may be hard to see, but the current blinds are straight across and a small amount of the arch is showing...
Thanks for your help.
  • Lisa Mackinnon
    Lisa Mackinnon

I'm sorry I don''t have an answer for your question. I just wanted to tell you your bedroom is gorgeous! :)

• Nancy
      Nancy

@Thank You Lisa Mackinnon I too love this bedroom.. it is very peaceful...

• LuAnne
    LuAnne

you could hang the Roman Shades where the blinds are now and put a header on the shades which would be higher.

• Nancy
      Nancy

@LuAnne I have thought of this, but do to the roundness of the window, I would cover up that feature, but... it would look nice, I have considered just hanging the roman shade wit a header in the same exact place as the current blinds.

• Connie
    Connie

Interior curved shutters may be an option.

• Debbie Miller
    Debbie Miller

No, don't hide those beautiful windows! Go ahead with the Roman Shades (or nice blinds). I, personally would search for some type of flexible rod or something to fit the curve then hang some matching swag-type valances over the shades. Your bedroom is Gorgeous!

• Nancy
      Nancy

@Debbie Miller Thank you... I could do that, I don't want anything too frilly, I am thinking of plain linen fabric (sort of like the color of drop cloths), I will have to search on pinterest for some ideas...

• Lori Jackson
    Lori Jackson

If going Roman, I would go a bit low and let more of the arch show. Of course, if light or privacy is an issue, you are back to square one.

• Duv310660
    Duv310660

Yes, I agree with the fashioning of rounded-top blind. How this is done exactly is hard to say, but maybe some hook-and-loop would make it stable enough for a pull string (I have an incredibly heavy valence hung this way). It may be a bit fussy to piece it into the curve, but you won't have mounting hardware to deal with. You are right to stay away from frilly; those are stately lines. You may want to consider some texture to the fabric or similar so the inset of those frames don't look 'blank' or 'flat'. Maybe vertical stripes, just tone-on-tone.

• Nancy
      Nancy

@Duval.26 I like that idea, the tone on tone... I love the texture of the linen, so I will have to see what is available...

• Valerie
    Valerie

I would put in a 'mock' valence following the lines of the curve, and then have the 'real' Roman blind on a separate rod just below it. I did a search on Google image under the heading 'window treatments for arched windows' and there are some good ideas there. I must say that your windows are gorgeous!

• Marlene Haigh
    Marlene Haigh

the only thing that will cover the entire window and be able to open is a custom made blind. It may be a bit pricey. You would probably have to send the company a template. Check the Bali blinds website.

• Swan Road Designs
    Swan Road Designs

You could hang a roman shade in the same manner as you installed the temporary blinds. Before you do that you could fashion a curved and tailored flat valance to fit the arch of the window top. The simplest way to do that would to make a template of the curve and make a valance to fit the curve and add a "lip" of fabric with a strip of Velcro on it to attach to the mating strip of Velcro on the underside of the curve. This will give the illusion that you shade is curved without having to go to the trouble of a custom job. I would highly recommend lining the valance with blackout lining because you would get a "light leak" between the top of the shade and the arch top. I say this from experience.

• Marion Nesbitt
    Marion Nesbitt

The windows are elegant and traditional. Are you firm on the romans? Have traditional windows. I hang a rod just below the upper boards (the deco top board, the flat board and the small deco board) and attach it just outside the frame. That way, you aren't concealing the arch. I then use side drapes that reach or puddle on the floor.