Jamie W
Jamie W
  • Nora, IL
Asked on Apr 14, 2013

Does anyone have tips on how to keep the weeds out of sedum?

Douglas HuntGail Salminen

I started roots on my creek bank a few years ago, and the sedum has filled in nicely. However, the weeds grow IN the sedum. Every time I pull by hand, I end up taking out a few of the sedum roots too.
  • Gail Salminen

@Jamie W you could replant the sedum you unintentionally pull out. You could also put a layer of finely shredded mulch on the sedum after you have weeded it completely. The mulch will eventually fall to the ground and the sedum should also grow through it. I find the with each year the sedum becomes thicker and there is less room for weeds to grow except for the odd grass stalk, or where I have pilfered some for my pots, they usually come back the next year, but sometimes my helpful husband takes them out of the window boxes in the fall :P

In addition to tucking back in the sedums you inadvertently pull out, you can use a pre-emergent herbicide like Preen to help control weeds in that area. Apply in early spring when the forsythia are in bloom in your area.