Laura, Pet Scribbles
Laura, Pet Scribbles
  • Little Egg Harbor, NJ

Building a raised garden bed for our vegetables!

Our cedar wood raised beds were very pretty, but didn't get enough full sun for our vegetables to thrive. We decided to move the beds for better sunlight, but found the cedar wood had been feasted on by termites. So...this time my husband built a large raised bed using cobbled paver stones. Our vegetables love it! I do too...even though it was probably the area where my dream pool would have gone! Hah! (You
Our vegetables (all photos taken in July 2012) loved their new digs - pun intended!
This is a shot of the original vegetable bed area, which is now our firepit hangout!
We used cobbled pavers, just three layers tall.
Laying out the stones with some landscape fabric, after tamping down the ground.
First layer complete! (More pictures and how-to details in the blog post.)
Laura, Pet Scribbles

• Angie

Doesn't the plastic keep the water from draining?

• B. Yates

Not plastic. Landscape fabric allows water to flow through to the ground.

• Margaret

I think she said she used landscape fabric not plastic.

• Sandi Reynolds

Yes and how much did you spend for just 3 rows of paver?

• June Jones

Paver are 2. Each at walmart. They are close to 8" each. So you can measure your area and get your price that way.

• June Jones

• Sandi Reynolds

so how much did your area cost?

• Bonnie

My guess is roughly $300.

• Carolyn Hines

Might check sites like Craigslist to find folks that are selling these cheaply or even giving them away. Could also use bricks or painted concrete blocks, but they would not be nearly as pretty.

• Nola Whitlow

Sandi, if my figures are correct: if you built an 8 ft wide x 16 ft long = 576 inches divided by an 8 inch paver = 72 pavers per tier x 3 tiers = a total of 216 pavers x $2.00 per paver = $432. ( you math whiz people check my figures!!!)

• Sandi Reynolds

ouch! But pretty

It's beautiful and will last "forever." Great job!

• Jon M

Is there a cost estimate?

• Kathy

Are you sure that the wood you started with was cedar? With my husband being a union carpenter we built our home including a Solarium. We didn't use treated lumber on top of the cinder blocks. But, to save $$$ he used cedar to finish off the Solarium. Those termites ate everything but the cedar. Thanks to someone in the heaven, all the horizontal and vertical glass didn't come tumbling down. My location is in Northwest Ohio. I love your idea, but just want to be sure about the cedar. Thank you so much for your time and answer.It's appreciated so much. Kathy Rahn

I was under the impression Cedar is a natural insect repellent...

• Sherig47

Did you line the bottom of the bed with landscape fabric? Did you just stack them ot mortar the bricks to each other?

• Kay Goodwin Rice

Are stones just stacked on each other or are they attached somehow?

• Andrea Barbour

Exactly what im trying to do... What kind of blocks did you use??

• Dpbeee2

Great garden, looks like it's doable. I may try thus. Thanks.
  • Linda Smith

Yes I believe I will. Great idea for my strawberry plants as they need more separate attention.