Thrift Tray Makeover to a Faux Rust and Aqua Finish

If only I could truly express just how much I love rusty things. There is something about this aged patina that speaks history and value. To me, a rusty piece is a piece with a story to tell...and I love listening.
diy faux rust with chalk paint, chalk paint, crafts
Right now, something wonderful is happening in the world of rust. I know this because one of my earlier HomeTalk posts "How to Rust a Brass Light Fixture in 3 Easy Steps" has really taken off with views and pins. The post explains how to create an authentic rust using a chemical kit.
In contrast, this post will explain how to create a faux rust finish without these harsh chemicals. You just use good old chalk paint. So, depending on your project, now you have two very different options.
So, I picked up this tray at the bottom of the clearance pile at one of my favorite home supply stores. It was 90% off, only scratched up a little here and there, and had super great bones. For $6.00, I thought I had hit the motherload of DIY possibilities.
First up in its rusty glam up was a little light sanding. The finish was really slick and the red needed toning down, so a quick buff with some 240-grit sandpaper worked great.
Next came the base coat using a rust-colored chalk paint. The entire inside was covered, but more paint was applied to the edges and in the joints because this is usually how rust naturally occurs.
After the base coat was completely dry, I started layering aqua, charcoal gray, and black paint in different ways using brush techniques. Some of the paint was piled on and other paint was dry brushed.
The key to this particular finish is two fold. (1) Let each application completely dry before adding another layer and (2) play around with the layers until you get the look you want. Here is another view using a different photo lense. Can you see the texture? Especially with the aqua paint?
After the inside was completely finished, the outside was painted with rust paint using a dry brush technique. No other color was used.
I don't know why, but using the same heavy rust on the outside just seemed, at least to me, like the inside finish would no longer be special. This is why I opted to use a simple soft touch on the outer surfaces. I love how it turned out, but I'd love to hear what you think.
For more details about this faux rusting technique, please visit the full blog post at
http://thechelseaproject.com/2016/01/17/thrift-tray-makeover-to-a-faux-rust-and-aqua-finish/
And for more details about the rusting technique using chemicals, please visit my post on HomeTalk entitled "How-to Rust a Brass Fixture in 3 Easy Steps."
And, as always, it is a pleasure to share projects with you. Hope you enjoy!!!
Susie @ The Chelsea Project Blog